Alternative reels

big Stu

Reaction score
hi all - can u sugggest a reelto suit?

i have always used shimano baitrunners 8000's, most recently the gte-b's, which are excellent reels and never let me down when playing a fish. however, it has to be said that the line lay isnt great

i generally fix between margin work and top range i would say 90 yards, so i dont need a big pit reel, however, i am impressed with the way the line lays on them and want a reel with a longer (as opposed to deeper) spool

i mainly use shimano technium line in both 12 and 15lb, as well as riverge reel soft fluro

the super baitrunners i dont think are worth the additional money over the 8000's and have deeper as opposed to longerspools.

the fox looks a good bet and i have had a play with it buti am dubious as the 10000 was its first reel and i have read many issues on quality

the daiwa linears are another option, but i have never seen a set in the shop only on line stores. alternatively,shimano have bought out a new mini big bit reel, the ultegra, but it has a front br spool, which i have never used

has anyone used any of the three, or have alternative sugestions for me to consider

appreciate your honest opinions - trouble with magazines is that they are say everything is bloody marvellous and you know that cant be true!

GreyFox

Reaction score
I use both 8000s and the big pit Ultegras with the front baitrunner system..

even after years of using the shimano baitrunner system, I find the ultegras' system easy to use and pretty much instinctive - I always pick up the rod, cup the front spool and 'feel' what's on the other end before dis-engaging the baitrunner by turning the handle on the 8000s so it's not much different with the ultegras except your hand is already in the right place to turn the drag system to engage the reel.

Foxy

Reaction score
Having read what you have written, i would stick with the gte-b 8000`s, i had a set of those for 2 years before getting my shimano lcs and they are a great reel

big Stu

Reaction score
thanks foxy - i think i will. maybe respooling twice season as opposed to one will satisfy

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Diawa 4500 advance emblems, smaller than other big pit reels, or the 5500 XTB Ultegras, better known as baby pit reels.