Leger Floats

C

Curly

Can anyone tell me, well everything about leger floats. From start to finish please, except for the threading the eyes in my rod bit ;_)))

The reason I need to know is, I've just joined a club and this club have a pool which is 30ft deep in parts.I know I could leger or use the feeder but I want to know how to use a leger float, the one I've got is not a polaris, I don't know the name of it as I found it ;_)) and the name has rubbed off.

Thank's in advance for any help/

Neil

ron lander

Reaction score
If you have got a few quid buy a large polaris float. Make sure it comes in a packet with the instructions on the back. The provided instructions are foolproof. (For us males that is)

C

Craig Smith

Neil,
If the float you've found is a polaris it will have at the base a small block with 2 holes top and bottom,1 bigger than the other. The line you are using depends on the hole smaller hole finer line normal stuff. You thread it from top to bottom then set up your feeder as normal, you might want to put a small leadger stop a couple of ft above the feeder to stop any tangles.
When you are set up the next thing is casting, after casting put the rod tip under the water with the bail are still open and wait till you see the tip of the float appear, flip on the bail arm and put in rest. You might need to let some line out or reel in to get the float set up right depending on conditions.
That's about it tight lines!

W

Wendy Perry

Neil
i bought a polaris float a few month ago if you look through the threads you will see what people said about it . I absolutley love my polaris it only cost a couple of quid and it's the best thing since sliced bread for me, especially when you go to a lake and you have no idea how deep it is and also lakes don't seem to have the same depth all over so there's no need to keep moving your float . I use my polaris with a bomb or my feeder but what you have to do is make sure the bomb or feeder is heavier than the polaris or it won't pop back up again .
There are a few different types of polaris you can get Neil i would suggest you tell the person in tackle shop what type of water you are going to use it on .If you want anymore info on it Neil i'd be glad to pass my info on about it :)

R

Rodney Wrestt

Hi Neil,
The other type of leger float has a small bent tube through the base, it's called a "Lock slide" float and both work with friction. Place the line through the base and put a weight on (as Wend said, make sure it's heavy enough for the float), after casting out allow the line to stay slack and it will pop up. Then slowly tighten the line and the float will go under, do this untill you can see the required amount of tip (do this with the rod in rests as any movement on the rod tip will move the float). You can set it up with a paternoster rig or a running line.

Hope this helps.

C

Curly

Thank's guys, all info helped. It's the float Rodney explained. I just couldn't get my head around how it works. I know now.

Thank's again.

K

Kevan Farmer

Ah, ha. Gunstone Hall I presume? I must try it myself.

Kevan

R

Robert Draper

I have found that a Polaris float together with at least 2oz of lead on a paternoster to be the best set up. There is a direct link to the float without the drag of the lead so sensitivity is maximised.

PS Neil, ;_)) - it it a smiley or a picture of a man's bottom...

C

Chris Bishop

I often use something similar piking, but I make an adapter out of a bit of rig tube heated and bent to a 'U' shape with a snaplink swivel glued in the top of the bend - easy-peasy converts any float to a polaris.

I expect the baits and rigs I use are a bit heavier than yours but one thing I have found is it pays to make sure you use plenty of weigh and let it sink on a fairly tight line, then just pay a foot or two of line at a time off until it just appears abouve the surface.

If you do it the other way - let it sink on a slack line, then put rod in rests and try and tighten down - you get a big bow which is hard to straighten without pulling the floatb in towards you and once the line is bowed, the float keeps falling over giving false bites.

C

Curly

You got it Kevan. It's just too deep to try any other form of float fishing. Like I said, I know I could use a leger or feeder but it would be much more interesting to learn how to use these floats.

LOL Robert, God knows what it is. I must have had a few ;_))))))))))

Neil

P.S. Kevan, have you had your newsletter? I got mine today. I see they are stocking Gunstone?