Are We Making The Fish Harder To Catch

chub angler

Reaction score
I was talking to my dad last time we were fishing. And he was saying "all these new rigs and things are making the fish harder to catch". And "old baits like luncheon meat etc dont work any more because of pellets" and "what are we going to do if they wont take pellets anymore". What do you think?.

Grumpy Git @

Reaction score
I think your Dad's probably worrying too much and should vary his baits and go back to basics.

I was using bread and maggots over 40 years ago as a kid. They still catch fish but not if I use them all the time. A change of bait, even at different times of year, can make them less hard to catch.

I have been thinking about this recently myself and I have come to the conclusion that by moving away from the simplest methods to the more fashionable and complicated rigs my catch rate drops off. What do they say? KISS - keep it simple stupid /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

Grumpy Git @

Reaction score
OMG!!

Just noticed, it's Friday the 13th and my last post was number 666 /forum/smilies/confused_smiley.gif That's buggered the fishing for tomorrow!

F

Fred Bonney

LM definitely does work, as do worms. Mix it up.

KISS works with me too.

chub angler

Reaction score
Thanks grump he is always on about the barbel being easier to catch when he started to fish here.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Chub,

I always keep my fishing simple,rigs simple, baits simple.

Lm is just as good today as it was30 years ago, as is sweetcorn.

I mix thinks up, if the simple approach isn't working, but it's the Angler making the fish hard to catch by trying to many things at time's.

Some Anglers will see an artical about a rig and try it, what they don't take in is the Angler writing the Artical, has tried that rig many times, and has found the right time,place etc to use it, and may well have had several blanks before getting it right.

Tell your Dad to give LM a try next time, a change is as good as a rest,so they say.

A

Andy "the Dog" Nellist (SAA) (ACA)

You don't need fancy baits andrigs to catch lots of fish.The secret to of how to increase yoursuccess is to focus onimproving your watercraft.

chub angler

Reaction score
Thanks Ray that's true who wants to read about having blanks.

chub angler

Reaction score
TaAndy I suppose part of his problem is down to location of the barbel.

Reaction score
I tend to take too many baits for a session which means that I don`t give them long enough time to work , a bad habit of mine.

Iv`e just sorted out my baits for tomorrow , pellets , hard and soft in 3 sizes , L.M. ( bacon flavoured ) with two oxo cubes crushed , two tins of sweetcorn mixed with two tablespoons of sugar to make it sweeter , still ,if the fish don`t bite at least I won`t go hungry ./forum/smilies/tongue_out_smiley.gif

chub angler

Reaction score
Thanks Les this thread may not just be relevant to barbel I mean most carpers are having to change rigs and baits to give them the edge on pressured waters in the hope of catching The big un.

Reaction score
Hi mate , I`m not going after big carp tomorrow , up to about 12 lb and as small as 1 lb , just to put a bend in my rods ( quiver tipping ) , as much as I love fishing for the bigger carp , I just can`t hump all that gear anymore just for a night or two ./forum/smilies/confused_smiley.gif

chub angler

Reaction score
Sounds like the carp in one of the club pools I fish for and there like barbel on steroids

Stephan

Reaction score
I don`t know about special rigs or `secret` baits-a bit of blue vein cheese always worked for me when after chub

chub angler

Reaction score
Yeah me to its just my dad and and some of the other old boys are saying that their using to many new baits and things and the fish mainly barbel don't seem to take trad baits anymore and they are wondering what will happen when the new baits dont work anymore.

marie marling

Reaction score
I thinksome baits and things never see a river before they go on sale /forum/smilies/i_dont_know_smiley.gif. And the barbel on the Wye are not tackle shy.

D

Dave Slater

I agree that anglers try to overcomplicate baits and rigs. My answer to this is to fish quiet places. You can fish as simply as possible and catch as many fish as you want as long as you don't fish the same place all of the time. On the other hand other anglers overcomplicating things can work in your favour. I can remember when a popular stretch of the Stour had been hammered on boilies and pellets with fancy rigs some years ago. I was told that you could expect one bite from a chub if you were lucky and if you missed it that would be your only chance. I went there the next morning with a bucket of lobworms, caught 11 chub and went home before any other anglers arrived. Don't let the people using complicated baits and rigs see you catching by using basics or they will all be doing it.

/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif