Harrison GTi 14" Stick Float Rod

Tony Cummings

Reaction score
Just had a rummage through my old rods and dug out a Harrison Advanced Rods 14" stick float rod. Is this rod powerful enough to tackle barbel?

I know that its a good quality rod and on another FM thread the 15" version is recommended for float fishing for barbel, but I can't believe that a rod that has served me so well for catching chub, dace and roach on the upper Trent can double as a tool for catching old whiskers/forum/smilies/i_dont_know_smiley.gif

E

EC

I'd have thought it was a bit light Tony, but I have never used that particular blank. I think the 'power float' type rods would be better suited, but try and abuse it on a commercial carp venue with ahigher than recommended mainline and hooklength and see how it performs.

Jeff Spiller

Reaction score
There's only one way to find out Tony, get your arse out there ( next season ) and try to catch one. what's the worse that could happen !

Tony Cummings

Reaction score
No way am I abusing me old harrison! Happy days, stood a third of the way across the stretch behind the Kings Mill pub at Castle Donnington trotting a float down using the harrison paired up with an adcock stanton, picking up roach and chub.

Proper fishing.

I might try my greys with the 1.25 t.c. top fitted; bit more backbone when required but still (hopefully) sensitive enough to provide enjoyment when playingsmaller fish.

chub angler

Reaction score
Try the greys Tony just in case shame to break your chub rod

The bad one

Reaction score
Tony I've landed barbel up to about 7 on mine on the Ribble when i've hooked them fishing for other species. Also ratfish up to 17 when perching. I think Harrison do a stepped up version. Give Steve Harrison a ring at the factory or drop him an e-mail and ask him. But expect to pay over £230 for such a rod, as such quality don't come cheap!

Yacko

Reaction score
"Just had a rummage through my old rods and dug out a Harrison Advanced Rods 14" stick float rod. Is this rod powerful enough to tackle barbel?

I know that its a good quality rod and on another FM thread the 15" version is recommended for float fishing for barbel, but I can't believe that a rod that has served me so well for catching chub, dace and roach on the upper Trent can double as a tool for catching old whiskers"

I think a 14" (inch) rod would be a little too short, I would suggest a 168" (= 14 foot)

rod would give you better leverage /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

Just kidding- know what you mean really

Tony Cummings

Reaction score
/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

Yea, there'd be quite a bit of pressure on the second joint of your bogey picking finger with a rod that short!

Doh!!!!

Hey, the Bad One's had a lot of success using his micro Harrison though; might start a new trend!/forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

Tony Cummings

Reaction score
£230 for a rod that's only 14 inches long; thats £16.43 an inch! That means my 168" long GTi should now be worth £2,760.24 (any offers?)

The bad one

Reaction score
I don't know, you give em' good advice and all they do is take the P*** Young'ens today no respect!

Did I not mention my 14 inch Harrison is for ice fishing...........Oh dear!

Tony Cummings

Reaction score
/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

The bad one

Reaction score
Now you're laughing at an oldish man. Now that is disrespectful! But you will tell me if I start stinking of P*** won't you?

Tony Cummings

Reaction score
Don't know about p***, but I've been known toexude eau de bullsh1t sometimes/forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

William Pastuszka

Reaction score
Tony, look at this way whilst fishing the trent embankment 2 yrs ago i borrowed my old mans 13ft Bruce & Walker tip action float rod & used a centrepin with it i caught a barbelweighing 6lb bang on the dot of the scales,i were using 3lb mainline straight through to size 18 hook it took 10 minutes to land.

by god was i chuffed to bits with that at the time. You just have to learn to beconfident and let the rod do the work./forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif