What Have I Done??

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Saturday 14th March - last day of the river coarse season. It fell on a weekend so no excuses!

I did get out on Friday (and had a near PB Chub) but I slept in on Saturday, convinced myself the crowds would be double that of Friday and the rivers weren't in that good nick anyway, so had another cup of coffee and decided to ....

....... go FLY FISHING!

Surfed the net, found alocal fishery and caught myself some fine rainbows on"buzzers" whatever they are?

It was all Peter Jacobs fault, he started it last weekend!
IMG_2666_(771_x_528).jpg

Mark Hewitt

Reaction score
I love fly fishing Neil, not always safe to talk about it on here - If Rons about be sure you'll be doing somthing wrong...../forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/tongue_out_smiley.gif

What is the bottom fish in the photo, some kind of trout/bream hybrid?

Emmo (Angling Trust)

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Neil Maidment wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

Saturday 15th March - last day of the river coarse season.
</blockquote>

On my calender Saturday was March 14th-last day of the coarse season!!!/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Emmo (ACA) wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote><blockquote class=quoteheader>Neil Maidment wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

Saturday 15th March - last day of the river coarse season.
</blockquote>

On my calender Saturday was March 14th-last day of the coarse season!!!/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif</blockquote>
So true! The powers of Admin edit have been applied!

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Mark Hewitt wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

I love fly fishing Neil, not always safe to talk about it on here - If Rons about be sure you'll be doing somthing wrong...../forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/tongue_out_smiley.gif

What is the bottom fish in the photo, some kind of trout/bream hybrid?</blockquote>

It's a "I ate all the pies" Rainbow of 5-12. Weird shape but went like a bat out of hell!

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Looks more like a flounder/rainbow hybrid to me !

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Oh my God!!!

Neil what have you done???

You went fly fishing on the last day of the course season????

What is wrong with you man???

Get on the local with Peter and have a go at some of those wild Brownies, not those alien things!

WTF is that "thing" at the bottom??? /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Well, there was last Sunday... 3 Rainbows (sleet, snow gales - but still enjoyed it). Then yesterday.... quite a few more Rainbows (lost a good Brownie!).

Bought some things called "Nymphs", thinking about buying an "intermediate, weight forward #6", maybe another Orvis Battenkill Wide Arbour to put aformentioned on!

But salvation may be at hand.

1st April I can go down on the Stour at Throop and legally fish the fly for trout! Rumour has it, chub and barbel have been known to take a fly!

/forum/smilies/tongue_out_smiley.gif

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Neil, I am seriously starting to worry about you mate!

You'll be talking about "forward loaded shooting heads" next!!!

Get on that little river with Peter and come to terms with nature, drop a dry fly perfectly on its nose, forget the nymphs, you know that's cheating.............

/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

Sod that, it's too much hard work!

Any ideas for a weekend bivvied up tenching? A warm summer evening, good company and a few fish..................heaven.

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

It was good last Sunday wasn't it Neil ..... apart from the weather?

And we showed them how to do it as well .....didn't we ?

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Steve, I refer you to about this time last year (perhaps a few more weeks away). No bivvies, just some fine tench and cr*****s. April/May afternoons/evenings......

Well worth the trip.

Alan Roe

Reaction score
Ha! It's too late now bud youv'e done it and you will discover that its more addictive that heroin.

Welcome to the Dark Side Soon you'll be able to say" Keeper get those coarse types orf my land!!!"/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one) wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

It was good last Sunday wasn't it Neil ..... apart from the weather?

And we showed them how to do it as well .....didn't we ?</blockquote>
IMG_2660_(592_x_560).jpg

A superb day out in great compnay. Thats a fine Ghillie you've got there Ed!
IMG_2664_(634_x_428).jpg

E

That was all the ghillie was fit for Neil ..... He was no good at catching!!!!

Posh rods my a*se......... Hahaha

(It is addictive though isn't it?)

DON'T start fly tying ...That'll cost you a fortune too

E

We nearly called in to visit you last weekMr Spiller........

We ended up in Nailsea .... (but that's another story )

Fancy having me as co-pilot ........I get lost going to the shops !!!

E

<blockquote class=quoteheader>ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one) wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

That was all the ghillie was fit for Neil ..... He was no good at catching!!!!

Posh rods my a*se......... Hahaha</blockquote>
I have to admit though that he was handicapped using one of my rodsafter a little accident .......... (He'd probably have hammered me otherwise...he usually does )

D

Dave Slater

You are not alone Neil.

My mate Bill Neal always takes his wife out on Staurday afternoon and fishes all day on Sunday. I suggested to him that he had a break with routine this weekend and came chub fishing with me on Staurday 14th and took his wife out on Sunday.

Can't do that, he said, we always go out on Saturday, so he went fishing on a commercial on Sunday 15th.

/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

C

Colin North, the one and only

Have we some flyfishing snobs on here? I thought it was just another option to enable you to catch fish.