Keep the Closed Season

Damian Kimmins

Reaction score
Thinking that someone else may have already done so and registered a petition to the PM in favour of the closed seaon on rivers I visited the website that hosts the petitions and was surprised to find that no one had, although someone had registered one in favour of the abolition of it. Despite having signed one last season, I thought it was important to keep up the pressure and register that there are those of us in favour of the closed season on the rivers despite the fact that they do not cover all coarse fish spawning periods.
Please, if you're in favour of one on the rivers, as opposed to nothing at all, please register.

http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/closedseason/

Regards,

Damian Kimmins

Kevin Perkins

Reaction score
Damian

In the spirit of fairness and to show you have no bias, perhaps you should also post a link to the petition in <u>favour</u> of abolishing the Closed Season, just in case not everyone on FM agrees with your views............

W

Wolfman Woody

I've signed up.

To one of them, derrrrrrrr which?

Who's Steve Pope?

/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

C

Cakey

loose windscreen.................................../forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

Damian Kimmins

Reaction score
Thanks Graham, I had actually planned to post a link to the other petition.

Let me just clarify however, one petition calls for the end to the closed season and the other calls for the season to remain, and further, to be policed.

I would implore you to, bearing the above in mind, register on the one at the top of this thread if, you consider the effectivess of the current closed season dubious on account of the different spawning times, as without a closed season, we have nothing! No going back! Nothing!

Regards,

Damian Kimmins

Chris Fox

Reaction score
Signed...

Loved the fact that grown men are signing with names like "Darth Gaydar".

Brilliant.

Lee Swords

Reaction score
Nah..Not for me

Abolish it asap

We should be allowed to choose when and where we fish and with what methods...Just like the Albanians,Iraqi Kurds and the Portuguese....

WE POLICE THE RIVERS

who does it when we are gone for three months?

E

EC

Not for me either. There is no sensible reason why I shouldn't be allowed to fish my local river today!

Grumpy Git @

Reaction score
Notice that Damien has signed the petition to keep the rivers OPEN at least six or seven times in his various nom-de-plumes /forum/smilies/confused_smiley.gif

S

STEVE POPE

Ray,

Unfortunately the Internet attracts more than its fair share of idiots, I have to say I find it all rather pathetic.

It's always possible that there is another person with the same name but unlikely I would have thought.

You not only have people using false names, you also have individuals sharing passwords so any number could post under one name.

All of this is understandable for juvenile pranksters but when I am aware of men in their fifties doing it I truly wonder about theirwellbeing and forums in general.

However, just to put the record straight I am a firm believer and supporter of the close season, nothing I have read either on here or anywhere else has changed my opinion.

The day that it ever goes is the day we as anglers can no longer call ourselves consevationists, simple as that.

I'm not interested in the fact that it no longer exists on lakes etc, two wrongs do not make a right.

I cannot understand why we as anglers cannotaccept just the tiniest act of restraint without whinging and looking for any excuse to change things every time March 15th comes around.

As I said the close season on rivers for wild fish has to stay.

Steve.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Steve, I respect your views but disagree with some of them:

"The day that it ever goes is the day we as anglers can no longer call ourselves consevationists, simple as that.

If that was true than it went when we abolished the closed season for stillwater fish.

"I'm not interested in the fact that it no longer exists on lakes etc, two wrongs do not make a right."

That's only true if you consider the first one a 'wrong' - many don't.

"As I said the close season on rivers for wild fish has to stay."

That's the usual red herring that suggests that all stillwaters are commercials. They're not. There are thousands of natural stillwaters holding millions of wild coarse fish.

Let's put an end to the closed season farce once and for all I say and stop this nonsense of having one law for stillwaters and one for rivers.

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>STEVE POPE wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

The day that it ever goes is the day we as anglers can no longer call ourselves consevationists, simple as that.</blockquote>

Let's look at this from a different angle.

If we were conservationists then we would support a 12 month close season, not catch fish and instead we would spend our time on activities that kept our waterways clean and improved our fish stocks. Let's stop being hypocritical about this. We don't have to be anglers to be conservationists. The only reason anglers have an interest in the conservation of fish stocks is so that we can catch them.

How many anglers would spend their time on fish conservation activities if they could not go out fishing?