Photo question

I

Ian Cloke

LINK

Am I being overly critical when I think the picture, on the above report, is un-necessary? I believe that they could have just shown one or two, of the better quality fish, rather than risking distressing all the fish.

Reguarding the catch, it is a very noteworthy one, well done Roy Whincup.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
I for one have done that, it was the norm at one time.

Angling Times and the Anglers Mail would always have picturs like that in the papers, mainly match anglers I think, plus the monthly mags.

Don't bother with a keepnet now, apart from the Aces VS Chavs fish in, or if I do the odd artical for someone.

I would not lay the fish out like that now, there is no need.

Come on hands up, who else has done it??

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
"Come on hands up, who else has done it??"

I certainly did back in the days when it was considered par for the course, and especially in Ireland or Denmark when those huge Bream catches were possible.

These days of course we 'know better' and as Ray so rightly says, there is no need.

I don't have a problem with keepnets though, properly positioned and well staked out, and for not retaining fish for too long is no problem.

Gary Dolman

Reaction score
I can honestly say I have never posed with a net of bream like that, mainly because I have never caught 60lb of bream. Well done that man.

My wife who is a non angler always complains at the length of time fish are held out of the water, on tv programmes, and thinks it is cruel, so I guess she is not alone in this view. It does seem that some TV anglers do take an inordinate amount of time displaying & weighing the fish, before taking a trophy shot, I am sure that the fish is sacked or held in the margins, but the edit does not often show this aspect.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
All of us of a certain age have done that in the distant past.

S

Scott Whatmore

... and some who are a lot, lot younger /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

W

Wolfman Woody

/members/images/6812/Gallery/bream_catch.jpg

I took the above picture of bream, part of a match, about 10 or 11 years ago. This would have put the captor well down the list, the winner getting more than 120lbs (the other photos went to the club). Note: his face is smudged to protect his identity.

This was all quite normal and nothing wrong with it (even the 120lbs) providing the fish are well looked after when reintroducing them. That was what p****d me off, they were just throwing them back and the fish were lying on the surface and would probably have died. I told them (as secretary) to hold them in the water upright until they could swim away. Two anglers with waders on saw to that and as a result, all the fish survived, to my knowledge.

I well remember too, pictures of the famous Ivan Marks with a haul in front of him and holding one or two up for the camera. What spoilt his pictures more often than not was the white fag hanging out of the side of his mouth. He told me later how it made him cringe seeing the fag there in the first place.

If it is an exceptional catch, maybe you have been using a keepnet and there are 3 or 4 double figure bream, then OK, but as a general rule you don't now need to show them like that.

However, what does puzzle me is these carp mags that publish an article with 28 pictures 26 of which are the same guy in front of the same bush (so as not to give the location away) in the same clothes holding up different fish. This is a 28 - this is a 24 - this is a 36 - this is a 33 - this is a ......... ad infinitum. BORING! BL00DY BORING!!!

Jon Jagger

Reaction score
Why doesn't someone invent a see-through keep net. That way you could leave the net in the water and just raise it slightly, take a quick photo, then lower it again and let the fish swim out. Just an idea.