WHY A FIXED SPOOL REEL ?

P

Phillips Jerry

I'm a sea angler that likes to do a bit of coarse fishing,but one thing that has struck me is why do you use a fixed spool when a multiplier would do abetter job .Example long range carp fishing a multipllier will give youan extra 10% casting distance it's got a much better clutch it would be about half the weight half the price and has abite and run already built in.If I was Barbel fishing with weighs or feeders over 3 oz again the multiplier would be a better choice.A fixed spool can never be as mechanicaly efficient as a muliplier because it has to turn the drive through 180 degrees that why they need so many bearings.Big pit reels are just so ugly.Plus you might get better rods as well most fixed spool rods have to have stiff tips or else you get problems with casting.

Reaction score
Why a fixed spool reel?
  1. You don't need a heavy weight to cast - light weights can be used too.
  2. Float fishing (it's not all long range carp fishing you know)
  3. Free lining.
  4. One reel plus a number of spools for different BS lines.
  5. Easier for a novice to learn to cast without getting bird's nests.
  6. The reel is UNDER the rod where it should be /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

I'm sure there's many more good reasons to use a fixed spool reel rather than a multiplier.

P

Phillips Jerry

Kevin Perkins sorry didn't mean to steal your thunder ,but you proved that the multiplier is better in certain situations ie weights above 3oz

Kevin Perkins

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>MULLET MAN wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>Kevin Perkins sorry didn't mean to steal your thunder ,but you proved that the multiplier is better in certain situations ie weights above 3oz</blockquote>

Mr. Mullet, you credit me with too much expertise. I don't think I proved that a multiplier/beachcaster combo was better, I merely pontificated that it should certainly easily outperform any 'long range' carp outfit in the hands of an expert, and that view still stands.

In fact, the only way any carp angler is going to outdistance a beachcaster is by using a baitboat, but you still won't see any multipliers on any carp pits............

Kevin Perkins

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Matt Corker wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>I was recently given a Polycanski multiplier...hmmm...</blockquote>

Matt

Is that some strange device for increasing the number of tinned Eastern European parrots

Or is it a clone of a Policanski reel...........????

Reaction score
/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

It's a Policanski 2b Monitor.

I haven't a clue how to use it/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

I'm going to take it apart and put it back together again....boing.....ping....phht.....ptang...clonk.

P

Phillips Jerry

Any rod ,that can cast 5oz and above sounds like a beahcaster to me.

S

Sean Meeghan

It would make a lovely bass rod Matt - head for Llandudno and give it a go. If you want the polywhatsit multiplierreassembling I can do it for a small fee

Kevin Perkins

Reaction score
Sean

By the same token, my old Daiwa Moonraker Bass rod made a fabulous deadbait launcher.......

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Sean Meeghan wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>It would make a lovely bass rod Matt - head for Llandudno and give it a go. </blockquote>
Good idea Sean. Now, I know fa about bass fishing at Llllllandidno, so where do I start?

P

Phillips Jerry

There,s a difference from casting and what i call lobbing a wieght.Casting in my opinon is over 100 yrds, and yes there's a crossover bettween freshwater and sea rods

Wobbly Face (As Per Ed)

Reaction score
Matt, to get to, that Welsh place with the LLL's, just head West and at the end turn left.

The problem with using a multiplier instead of baitrunner is you would have to run the rod over with the multiplier.

C

Cakey

I just love that word...........................................pontificated

Wobbly Face (As Per Ed)

Reaction score
Haven't a clue Matt.

When I've been out to the seaside and been told reports of cod, bass etc being caught around Mersy estuary, North Wales etc. I find that they have b*****d off, either down or up the coast or that only codling are about. Just tiddlers and you have to put them back. Not that I mind putting them back, it's just last time out sea fishing, the ba***** seagulls got them before got thier heads down.

Phil Lambert

Reaction score
I was considered a reasonable beach angler (100 yards plus with bait) and always used a Daiwa multiplier (7HT) from the open beach when launching 5oz of grip lead. In our local harbours and creeks when fishing for flounders and eels I always used a fixed spool reel.

A multiplier mostly works best when you give it some welly to get the spool revolving. It's a difficult reel to 'lob' a bait with unlike a fixed spool. A 2 or 3oz weight is best fished from afixed spool in my opinion.

I'm from the Matt school of mechanical engineers. Don't take a multiplier apart except for the basic cleaning routine. If you do, you'll have to send it to the Krypton Factor to get it put back together!!!