what tackle do you really need?

Lord Paul

Reaction score
Most of us will have more rods and reels than we actually need - so if you where just to keep what you need what would that be based on your angling style.

Well I'm mostly a pleasure angler so I'd need a light feeder and a medium feeder rods, light 13ft float rod and a power float rod, and 2 reel with spare pools for the feeders and 2 reels and spare spools for the float rods. Also a centre pin reel for the rivers

Then as an occasional carp angler I'd need 2 carp rod 2.5tc and 2 free spool reels

My pike fishing - the odd session - I'd need 2 carp rod 2.5tc and 2 free spool reels

and a lure rod for lures with a multiplier reel.

Travel rod for holidays

So looking at my gear that would be:

The light bomb rod and one reel

1.75tc avon barbel rod (use for medium feeder and power float rod with avon top) and 1 reel

Same rods and reels for carp and reels for pike fishing plus lure rods and multiplier

13ft light float rod and centre pin

1 travel rod

So what could go:

1 lure rod

1.25 tc avon rod

1.75tc barbel rod

1 medium feeder rod

12ft power float rod (bought new)

10ft power float rod (bought 2nd hand)

9 ft carp margin rod ( bought second hand)

1 telescopic travel rod and reel (bought for £5 second hand)

11m pole not used for last 2 years

6m whip

10ft Kingfisher rod - bought when I was starting back fishing and kept as a guest rod for a non angling mate's occasional use(he's not using any decent stuff)

Yellow fibre glass spinning reel - given to me by someone

Several reels - not sure how many

So you can see I've not got the mountains of tackle some (most) of you have, but I've only been back to angling for about 6 years so I'm still getting my gear together, and the above tat I've said I don't need is not going to be disposed of, merely added to.

Now the rods I've kept might not be ideal for every situation and I know there will be those who must have a flood water barbel rod and another for small snag free river and another for a large river.

And some carp anglers who need at least 3 rods in all the tcs and spod rod and marker rod.

But what rods do you really need and what could you dispose of?

S

Sean Meeghan

If I reeealy had to pare it down I'd limit myself to my Shakespeare Omni telescopic spinning rod, my Cardinal C4 reel with spools of 10lb 6lb and 4lb line.

Being a bit more sensible :

My Garbolino Carp Match rod

My Shimano light feeder rod

My Shimano beastmaster travel spinning rod

My Korum Neoteric Twin tip

My Airflo 6/7 fly rod

Ideally I'd like a reel for each of them, but at a pinch my C4 and one of my Diawa bait runners plus a fly reel.

That would make tidying my garage easier!

Stephan

Reaction score
A 13ft float rod

A light ledger rod

As above but with a bit more `whoomph`-that`s a technical term for test curve

And when my tackle was stolen it just happened that a couple of my old Mictchel reels were elsewhere andso I justbought an Abu closed face to replace my Crac.

I do own a pole-but it seldom saw the light of day

Stephan

Reaction score
Trouble is I just keep adding when my head says stop -Hello my name is Stephan and I`m a rodaholic-I too had that problemBut I split with the girl whose father was in the trade/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

Reaction score
hello I'm Poshers - I'm a tackleoholic and I'd like that girl's phone number please Stephan.

Also if Fingers O'Loot the well known Rotherham Canary burgler would like to get in touch; for an extortionate fee I'll reveal the security plans of Furkham Hall - enabling m'lud to put in place the scam to replace all his tackle with even better gear thanks to the insurance policy with AIG. Bugger..ignore those last few words.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
"Most of us will have more rods and reels than we actually need "

Nope, I'm not 'going there' in case any of my ex-wives are reading this.

However, as my eldest Son is a VP with AIG I'll pass-on your 'tip' for future reference . . .

Deanos

Reaction score
I dont need all the tackle you lads use!....I mainly cadge it off Sean to be honest!

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Ages ago I decided I had every rod I could possibly need...yet I've still managed to buy 2-3 a year every year since.It is never enough...I must have more.

And nowhere amongst all these is a single carp rod of which I am immensely proud !

Gary Dolman

Reaction score
I need every single rod that I have including the 2 I bought the year before last & forgot about without using. If every woman in the land can never have enough shoes, I think that it is impossible to have too much fishing tackle, too many golf clubs, enough power tools .......................etc

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
"I think that it is impossible to have too much fishing tackle, too many golf clubs, enough power tools .......................etc"

Yeah, you tell 'em Gary, I'm with you bro'