Keepnets yes or no

Mark Hewitt

Reaction score
'Keepnets yes or no- apart from matches'

One or the other for me.

If its unacceptable for pleasure anglers, how could it be justified in matches?

I've recently fished a local venue for Roach. As a day ticket angler I couldn't use a keepnet. 30yrds down the bank a small match was taking place, thus keepnets were allowed. How can that be right?

If they do cause damage what could I do worse with my two dozen Roach than the match winner with his near 60lb of Carp?

As long as they are used sensibly and correctly I havr no problem with keepnets.

barry dix

Reaction score
Yes for small silvers up to 2 lb fish over 2lb I wouldn't feel happy keeping in a net.

chub angler

Reaction score
If I'm honest Mark most people I see using keepnets don't use them correctly and the pools I fish on they are banned.

chub angler

Reaction score
And using them in summer should be banned especially for barbel

Mark Hewitt

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>chub angler wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>If I'm honest Mark most people I see using keepnets don't use them correctly and the pools I fish on they are banned.</blockquote>

If thats the case, its not keepnets thats the problem, its the anglers.

Regarding summer,its still down to common sense. Ideally good fishery management should be applied. I don't see Barbel as being any different. I'd rather see a Barbel retained correctly in a modern keepnet or tube/retention system, than released, only to turn belly-up shortly after.

chub angler

Reaction score
they dont say anything on the river they set them up straight out in full sun no rings under water and no ribs on the net and keep fish for hours unless you say something and you useally get told to f off and if you let barbel recover properly they dont go tits up

chub angler

Reaction score
Fin I can understand them for winter matches but why do you need them in summer pleasure angling and towels are a no no

D

Dave Slater

I don't own one and I never will again. I do not agree with their use and I agree with Mark, why should it be different for matches? I am sure a lot of damage is done by keepnets. I occasionally keep a large fish in a sack prior to photographing. It is sometimes said that putting fish straight back makes catching others more difficult. I get round this by releasing fish 50 yards or so away and it doesn't seem to put the other fish off.

chub angler

Reaction score
on the subject of matches how would they tot up the fish to know who had won. I don't think putting fish straight back puts others off I think playing fish on the top does.

E

EC

I bought a keepnet (2 actually) just after xmas, I haven't used them yet mind, but I would like the choice to do so! I wrotemy first article 4 and a half years ago about fish welfare!

chub angler

Reaction score
You cant fish without hooks bobbing for eels is banned before anyone says about it. but you can fish without a keepnet if you use one that's your choice its just that the majority don't use them correctly where I fish. And you can let a fishrecover in your landing netfor a short time before release

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
Fin and chub angler - do you do much small-river roaching? If you put them straight back, you get three small fish per swim. Keep them in a net, and you can build the swim - I'm told...

E

EC

<blockquote class=quoteheader>chub angler wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>You cant fish without hooks bobing for eels is banned before anyone says about it. but you can fish without a keepnet if you use one thats your choice its just that the majority dont use them correctly where I fish. </blockquote>
Maybe the controlling club or fishery owner need to produce a keepnet guide or inform the bailiff/s to point out to those individual anglerswhom need educating!

Reaction score
rather like EC - I've two - which I've never used . I used to use keepnets in the past when fishing club matches - and always bought the biggest and fish friendliest - those two bleak always had plenty of room!

However I've not used a keepnet for pleasure fishing since I was about 18...and one in anger for about 20 years!

My club has strict rules on use of keepnets on waters (including a couple where they are barred full stop )

Poshers

chub angler

Reaction score
Thanks EC I think I should Raise the issue at the next clubmeeting

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
The keepnet question is really the thin end of the wedge.

If we, as anglers, begin to think that keepnets are a 'bad thing' then how can you, properly argue, that we can continue to catch and release our quarry?

Think about it.

Then it is not a quantum leap to the situation thatthey have in Germany and Switzerland.

Think long and hard!

In my opinion a properly sited and well staked out keepnet, not retaining fish for too long, is no problem at all.

chub angler

Reaction score
catch and release not catch and retain why would we need to kill what we catch because we want to release them as soon as possible.