The old ways

Reaction score
hi does any one out there still use the methods i was brought up on, and adoor fishing them. im not talking about long stay carping, or barbeling with two rods, or bagging up carp after carp on an easy puddle. i am of course talking about the fine art of laying on with a pinch of flake for some roach, or casting to some lillies on a secluded tench water, at 5am in the middle of june. does this still happen, or am i a deiing breed?

thanks

W

Wolfman Woody

Finding a "secluded tench water" is a fine art in itself.

The art of angling is to enjoy every type of presenting a bait in front of a fish. Carping is OK in small doses, as is fishing with two rods. But as Peter Stone once said to me, all you need is <u>one rod with the right bait</u>.

(Goodness me, I'm beginning to sound like Ron now, only I'm going on about Stoney. Is it a virus you can catch over the phone?)

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Not a virus, it's called name dropping to look good!

/forum/smilies/i_dont_know_smiley.gif

Keith M

Reaction score
And concentrating on one rod for 100% of the time is better than concentrating on 2 rods at only 50% of the timefor each rod. (I read that somewhere but I can't remember where) but most Carp anglers don't concentrate on any rod until the alarm goes off anyway /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif. and one rod in the right place is worth more than two rods in nearly the right place.

Phil Lambert

Reaction score
The estate lake early summer morning. 5.00am?? Half the day's gone!! You can see a float at 4.15am during late June/early July.

Tench bubbles, maybe a breamor two, perhaps a Crucian. Cursing the eels you caught (where have they gone?) What will the next bite produce on your double maggot bait? Very fond memories of some wonderful lakes in Lincolnshire.

It's a bit John Wilsonesque but the mental picture evokes some wonderful memories and this is still my preferred venue, run close by chalk rivers with the promise of barbel or chub, or maybe that elusive 2lb roachor grayling.

A dying breed perhaps (Trev, you're a sarccy sod and you remind me of me!) but this was, to us youngsters then,what fishing was all about. The commercials with their match carp with gobs ripped to bits seems to be with us to stay and that's fair enough for those that prefer these venues or don't have access to more 'natural' waters. For me though, Culverthorpe Lake, Kirkby La Thorpe and Oasbyponds will always be the epitomy of summer angling. Never heard of them?? Not surprised. You won't catch a ton, therewere no matches and size 20 elastics hadn't been invented.

D

Dave Slater

Split cane Peter ??? Bernard is dead and Ron has been deported !!!

I believe split cane is what Barrymore used to whack Gary Barlow with.

/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
"Split cane Peter ??? Bernard is dead and Ron has been deported !!!"

. . and a lot of modern anglers have no - - - - Soul.

[insert smiley thing - - - > H E R E ]

I

Ian Cloke

<blockquote class=quoteheader>Peter Jacobs wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

"Split cane Peter ??? Bernard is dead and Ron has been deported !!!"

. . <u>and a lot of modern anglers have no - - - - Soul.</u>

[insert smiley thing - - - > H E R E ]</blockquote>Ahh soul, brings to mind one of Mr Corkers threads......

Reaction score
does anyone know of any estate lakes in the hampshire/whiltshite/dorest/surrey region? i have missed this type of fishing so much since my fays living in norfolk.

thanks for any help

W

Wolfman Woody

<blockquote class=quoteheader>Steve Spiller wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

Not a virus, it's called name dropping to look good!

/forum/smilies/i_dont_know_smiley.gif</blockquote>

Hmmmmm.

OK then a bloke I met a few times who lived in Wolvercote near Oxford and used to fish with Barry Horwood (you won't know him, I bet) told me once - "all you need is <u>one rod with the right bait"</u>

Hardly a credible quotation though is it even if true still and you're only jealous.

/forum/smilies/tongue_out_smiley.gif

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Samantha Boatema-frimpong Surname wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

does anyone know of any estate lakes in the hampshire/whiltshite/dorest/surrey region? i have missed this type of fishing so much since my fays living in norfolk.

thanks for any help</blockquote>

yes...and I ahve access to a couple of wonderful sandy lakes in the Nwest ware yo can sneak on whin the bayleafs not thayre fool of tinch.

ying tong lidl aye pooh

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
That's more like it, "Barry Horwood" who's he? Never heard of him /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/tongue_out_smiley.gif

Sorry Jeff, bad mood last night /forum/smilies/embarassed_smiley.gif