Jumping Spiders

B

Bully

A few weeks ago my son came pelting back from the garage saying that a spider had "jumped" at him. Now he is 15, strapping army cadet, so doesn't frighten easily but he said it was huge. Of course I questioned what he had been smoking /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

Well b......r me. I went to get some fishing kit from the garage recently, uncovered a big spider, and the damn thing jumped at me. I have never heard of this before, anyone else?

Where is Ron when you need him!

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

It wasn't a frog in a disguise was it ???

B

Bully

It was browny with dark spots and a bit hairy. It was horrible! It certainly didnt croak Ed...

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

It would with a size eight shoe on it .........

chub angler

Reaction score
sorry I dont knowthe ones we get in the house are dark brown/black and bigger than a 50p

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Looks like the Central Northern Territory Edge of Billabong Funnel Web Spider - Atrax robustus billabongus.

This arachnid has recently been proved to be the most dangerous spider in the world, it's venom even exceeding that of the Brazilian Wandering Spider. During exportations of Northern Territory witchita grubs to the UK, eggs of this spider have been found in boxes of these grubs.

But No Worries mates!

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Now theres a note from the antipodean wanderer and here was me thinking funnel web spiders lived in ships smokestacks, not the case apparently. If imported wichita grubs are the culprits maybe we should ban these "get me out of here"contestants or condemn them to a life in the outback, fair dinkum cobber.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Only seen one big spider since I have been here, a harmless Huntsman.

Mind you it was big enough - about 6 inches across its legs - to put the fair old willies up most people.

PJ would probably have an heart attack!

/forum/smilies/sleepy_smiley.gif