Shimano baitrunners

Steve E

Reaction score
I`m pricing up shimano baitrunners in the 5000 size for a pal, I know someone here will know where to get the best deal.(both models)

TIA Steve

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Look on ebay, I know some one who has 2 xte 5000, mint used twice, will find out what he wants, but they are like new, so around £ 55 to £60 i would think, new they are around £75, but shop around.

Remember shimano have re launched some reels, but watch out as aome have plastic bodies, thats why they are cheap.

Day Breamer

Reaction score
Which baitrunners have plastic bodies?

And out of curiousity how would that affect their performance?

Shimano wouldnt just put thier name to any old cheap remake would they?

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Look in the shops, they may work just as well, but they are cheap and have plenty of plastic, shimano or not. These are a copy of the GTE's.

Day Breamer

Reaction score
Do you mean the newish ST RA's?

Our local shop really likes Okuma and Daiwa, they dont stock much Shimano for some reason, i think they have every single reel Okuma have ever made, they have loads of them.

Day Breamer

Reaction score
Ive got 2 of the ST RA 6000's they seem fine to me, a bargain really.

I believe its the XT-7 body whatever that is, but im certainly not holding them gently like fisher price incase they break in my hands... like i say these are Shimano baitrunners, maybe in order tomake them cheaper they have lowered costs in some areas but that does not make them a reel to be avoided or frowned upon, far from it.

Infact i would say thata cheaper made Shimano ST baitrunner is a better, more reliable bet than some more expensive other branded freespool reels available today... i think Shimano have done exactly what people have been asking for for years... theyve given us a top quality Baitrunner packed with features at an affordable price... hats of to them.

I dont feel like i have an inferior product, it does exactly what it should do.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Shimano are good reels, didn't say they weren't, on a personal note, I would rather pay the extra and get the full monty, so to speak, each to there own.

Diawa and a number of other companies have also done the same with cheaper model's.

It's great for us angler's, but I also think there is to much cheap gear on the market, there aren't that manycompanies making gear in theUK now. Apart froma hand full of firms, most rods are made abroad.

Free Spirit, which has become one of the best range of rods aroundare made in China I think it is, they are whipped here, but the blanks come from over seas.