Hook lengths v straight through

F

Fred Bonney

Can anybody out there tell me of the benifits or otherwise of fishing with a seperate hook length rather than straight through.
I've always fished straight through,because i've always thought that another knot is another weak spot.
I have to say that I always had problems with knots,until recently when I discovered the knotless knot to the hook, and ,so far, have had no mishaps.

D

darryl rogers

the idea of a hook length is if you snag up the fish is not trailing weight`s and masses of line making it easier to disspoise of the hook.you can always tie main line and hook lenght to a swival and use that as a drop shot

Murray Rogers

Reaction score
Nice thread Fred. (im a poet)

I also fish straight through whenever I can but have occasion to use lighter hook links when the needs demand. By nature I tend to fish on the heavy side of things and only start to fine down if things are not woking out.

This thread should produce numerous reasons for and against. I await with interest.

PS. You must be a sh1t hook tyer mate>

M

Mike Parker

I usually fish staight through, if I want to create a week link I just put a knot in the line.

J

John Pleasance

I would normally fish straight through Fred, mainly because it's simpler, but when using fluoro hooklengths I just use a swivel for attachment,although I may use a double grinner for trotting sometimes.

I never worry about extra knots because I'm confident that my knots are tried out with any new line or any other variation of tackle before I go fishing.The Palomar knot is suited to probably at least 90% of all situations relevant to my fishing anyway.

Even though properly tied, the hook knot or somewhere in the last couple of feet of line are almost certainly going to be the weakest point in the set-up so I don't feel the need for separate hooklinks just for the sake of it.

W

Willie John Russell

I use a hooklength for 90% of my fishing, usually tied to a number 20 swivel (equivalent of a number 8 shot I believe), this allows me to:-

(a)fish a lighter line for better bait presentation.

(b)makes it easier to pull for a break when snagged.

(c)lets the heavier mainline take the strain when continuously casting/retrieving when fishing the bomb or feeder.

Never had a problem with knots Fred, practise makes prefects.

F

Fred Bonney

Willie,your probably right,but i'm still practicing after 40+ years.

W

Willie John Russell

Fred, ditto. I always take it slowly, making sure it's well wetted and use a pair of magnifying specs (bought from Tesco) to make sure it's bedded down correctly - but getting back to knot tying........ Seriously though, I still practise my knot tying at home, never just relying on it on the bank.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Fishing with a weaker hooklink is standard practice so that any inevitable breakage would occur with the loss of only the end tackle.

Since braided hooklinks have become standard in carp fishing it is common for the hooklink to be at least the same, and is often stronger, than the main line. But carp anglers have devised safety rigs so that a breakage anywhere does not leave a rig that can tether the fish.

I don't think it matters whether you fish a weak hooklink, straight through, or a stronger hooklink, providing your end tackle is designed to be anti-tether.

R

Rodney Wrestt

I think that it's easier for the fish to get rid or a short hooklength rather than 20 yards of line which could get caught on an obstruction and leave the fish tethered to it, unlike a rod the snag wont pull back so the fish might not be able to break the line again especialy if it is quite strong line oposed to the lighter B/S of a hooklength.

R

Robert Draper

One thing I have seen recently is to attach a hooklength which includes all of the terminal tackle (not a non-tether rig either) - defeating the object of a hooklength in the first place.

Personally I would rarely fish straight through unless I knew for sure that I was fishing well overstrength (which I almost never do). I have seen people kink the line or crimp it to make a weak spot but why weaken the line indiscriminately when you can attach a hooklength with a known (in theory) breaking strain. Around a 10-20% step down is all that is needed, for small fish I would use 2lb with 3lb main line for larger fish 6lb/8lb, 8lb/10lb, 10lb/12lb and 12lb/15lb have all served me well.

It is down to individual choice but I would feel uneasy about fishing straight through.