Robson Green

• Thread starter John H Member of THE C.S.G.. & The A.T.
  • Start date
J

John H Member of THE C.S.G.. & The A.T.

Ive just listened to the biggest load of bull$hit ever broadcast on National TV (BBC Breakfast)

Robson Green tried to defend killing fish by saying that 90% of all fish landed die anyway after being exhausted in the fight. He cant understand why we coarse anglers return the fish. (a typical £*cking NE game angler if I ever saw/heard one) The interviewer did nothing to correctthistotally inaccurate statement

The man (Robson Green ) is talking absolute $ollocks!!90% of all fish returned do <u>NOT</u> die, many live for up to 50 years, as most educated anglers know. He's probably done more damage to the image of coarse fishing in the UK in twominutes as has been done over the past 100 years. The man is a disgrace and the BBC should retract that inaccurate statement. I did e-mail the BBC but I doubt it will retract. So much for 'balanced' reporting! Yet another BBC nail in the coffin of AnglingUK.

Windy

Reaction score
What an utter ignorant idiot.

Must admit I have quite enjoyed the TV series on a very basic 'oooh look at that, lucky swine' level, although all the girly screaming, high fives and over the top exaggerated bollocks grates a little. Would certainly get him a good thumping if he tried it around some real Geordies.

If it were true that returned fish die it would be very very obvious on still waters. The margins would be littered with the corpses of dead fish and they'd have to have tanker lorry loads of replacement fish at lakes up and down the country after each and every match... Let alone the trout fisheries going bankrupt because they allow catch and release. Not.

And that's just empirical observation, let alone the volumes of fish science and research.

No doubt he still believes that all salmon die after spawning too....

What a complete and utter twat.

I suspect that the anti hunting sports* BBC invited him on to the programme hoping and knowing that he would come out with such rubbish to suit their anti agenda, even tho you might think it very odd for the BBC to be covering a programme aired on commercial TV.

* my suggested and preferred alternative way of referring to these matters. 'Blood Sports' is a deliberately emotive description emanating from the antis and does a large chunk of subliminal harm to the debate IMHO.

I

Ian Cloke

O have watched the same load of garbage as John, I honestly thought I must have misheard what he said! He's an anti angling dream come true, he has single handedly put our glorious sport in danger of being the anti's main target again!

Email is on its way, to the BBC, thanks for the link Paul.

Wobbly Face (As Per Ed)

Reaction score
I always thought the guy an idiot, now when I heard his comment that coarse fishermen return their fish, 9 out of 10 die anyway. Now I know he is a complete <u>IDIOT.</u> Where the hell did he get this statistic from? All fishing venues would void of fish apart from maybe one or two left. Not even 1 in 10 fish die after being returned and that after being kept in a keep net ect after matches. Most anglers don't use keepnets these days anyway.

Perhaps he might kill 9 out of ten fish caught when putting them back, have you seen how he handles them. The BBC showed a clip of him catching a tiddler and he threw it back whilst stood up in a boat from a height around 6 ft from the water and it landed about the same out from the boat. Not good angling and not good for our sport/pasttime.

Donald Bain

Reaction score
Robson Green is a fluff chucker, he eats what he catches...does that make his kind of fishing any less cruel than any other type?

I love fishing in all of it's variants but I do know that there is an element of cruelty in it, but far less than in boxing, wrestling, horse racing....need I go on?

I was disgusted by the interview and have already complained!

Everyone who reads this site MUST complain!

Matt Brown

Reaction score
I've not see the TV show, only heard about it. While I agree with everything in John's first post, I do think that we shouldn't stereotype game anglers.

Game angling is moving more and more towards catch and release. I'd rather coarse anglers didn't alienate game anglers. We are all on the same side.

Off to compain to the BBC now...

Merv Harrison

Reaction score
His statement actually went along the lines of,

"I don't coarse fish, I don't see the point in hauling in an exhausted fish,only to throw it back when 9 out of 10 die anyway !!!".

A full weight idiot.

L

Laurie Harper

Interesting - I saw his programme on fishing for cats on the Ebro a while back and there was no mention of "hauling in exhausted fish", etc. Obviously, when the money was flowing into his bank account, his scruples were on holiday...

Mind you, one shouldn't expect too much from him. A brainless celeb' and cut price actoris wheeled out to front some TV production company wally's idea of an angling programme ("Extreme fishing"? I ask you), because they think more people will watch if it's presented by someone we've heard of. Nothing new under the sun.

John Heelis

Reaction score
I like the program, because i like to see fish that I'll never catch.

But Mr Green is a total K**bhead. and a bad example of an angler. I've yet to hear him mention that he disagrees with some of the ways that he has caught fish during the last two series of his show. I understand that some of these ways are the "norm" in certain parts of the world, but surely he would have to agree that it wouldn't be acceptable in the UK. His comments regarding course fishing resulting in 9 out of 10 caught fish die are absolutely ridiculous. As for his fish care, well where do you start? I've yet to see any kind of care administered to any of the fish he has returned, maybe it was edited out by the tv company? (which are probably enjoying the resulting "interest" and debate that the show is creating)

I would prefer a proper angling show to be on terrestrial tv, with a reconised angler teaching folk the proper way to handle and care for fish. but unfortunatly "proper" fishing doesn't excite the masses.

LongMan

Reaction score
/members/images/55163/Gallery/151208-men1.jpg
633573490603607879-masterbaiter.jpg

Thats all I have to say........AGAIN

The bad one

Reaction score
As a starter for you to send to the BBC

Here's my complaint Sir/Madam I am outraged as a course angler and professional ecologist at the comment made by Robson Green on your programme about 90%of coarse fish dying after being caught, which went unchallenged by you the BBC or it's presenters. It is scientific fact, substantiated by the Environment Agency and many others peer reviewed studies, that the mortality rate of coarse fish through being caught and released is minuscule, to the point that it has no statistical significance at all. Therearemany instances recorded where alarge fish has been caught and released by anglers fishing for it/them, time and time again over a period of anything up to 50 years. For Mr Green, who is not a coarse angler, to be allowed to make his claim, without being challenged by the presenterto provide evidence ofthat claim, is nothing srort of confirming the belief amongst coarse anglers that the BBC is anti-angling and panders to the anti-angling/animal rights bodies.As Mr Green's claims are without foundation, I demand that the BBC run on the programme a correction to his unfounded statement. I would further demandthat the BBC give a slot on the programme to the Chief Executive of the whole of Angling, Mark Lloyd from the Angling Trust, to redressthe damageMrGreen has done to the good nameand practices ofCoarse Angling in the minds of the non-fishing public who watch the programme. Phil Hacket BSc, MSc Coarse Angler of 50 years plus.

J

John H Member of THE C.S.G.. & The A.T.

I tried to tell Mr Robson's site what I thought of him but it wouldn't let me /forum/smilies/confused_smiley.gif

Please Dave, don't mince your words. Totally unlike you /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

"I do think that we shouldn't stereotype game anglers"

Matt, you should have been at the EA Fisheries Forum in Durham a few weeks back. There was almost a riot when the proposal to return all coarse fish to rivers was aired. NO ONE was going to take awayour rite to kill these 'vermin' that are infesting OUR river. Sadly one was my clubs new Chairman! We have had words. The rep from the S&TA actually apologised to me after the meeting. The upper Wear lot are a law unto themselves, hence my comments about R.G.