Chemical Assistance for the Humble Maggot

D

Dave Slater

Nice one Lee. If ever a fish was deserved.

/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

F

Fred Bonney

Lee, bearing in mind your past record on the river,could your lack of doubles have anything to do with using maggot?

Reaction score
Lee, let me cheer you up.

Last year, toward the end of this season, a friend informed me he had never caught a barbel, so I dutifully took him off for an evening on the middle Trent. I had two chub and he promptly knocked out four barbs, two small ones, one at 7-08 and then, at around half eleven, one at 11-04.

I have been giving him some stick for the last twelve months about it.

This year, he phoned me on the second to last weekend of the season asking for a return vist before the season ended. Again, I dutifully took him back to the scene of the crime. Once there, I had two small barbel, whereupon he caught six, from small ones up to one at 10-08.

Twotrips, two doubles. I very nearly left him there and let him walk home! Am now very dubious about next year!

Reaction score
Well done Lee. Interesting as ever. 8oz weights!!!!!! Blimey that's the same weight as the minnows on the Dane!

I know you now regret not taking advantage of the kind offer from those two genteel maidens of Clifton but you do sound a bit desperate

"wearing nothing but a purple thong and a pair of golden cowboy boots "

Still you've demonstrated patience is a virtue..so there's always next season.

regards

Poshers

Lee Swords

Reaction score
Cheers!

I use a Mark Tunley rod ( buying the other one to make a matchng pair at the BS National) and a Fox 2.75lb extremis job

line is Kryston Snyde because it is so bloody tough and at £1.30 a re-fill is so cheap I can change it every other session and not break the bank

As for my bad luck over the season its a double edged sword (pardon the pun) I have had a fantastic season in so much as I have reallly bagged up but whatever bait or method i have used i have been stuck at 9lb 14.5 oz

can't complain though...i haven't blanked too often...just once this season.

/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Lee

Try gluing your maggots to a sooty pellet to make your Medusa bait. They last for ages and are just as easy to make as the clip ones.

I mount the sooty on the hair in the usual way then put a blob of superglue on a bait box lid and simply touch the blunt end of the maggot into the glue and onto the sooty, It takes seconds and so long as you don't use too much glue they stick instantly.

You can then dip the whole lot into your barbel pro before casting out.......What self respecting barbel could possibly resist?/forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

Lee Swords

Reaction score
You know what i think you may be on a winner with that idea...

it certainly beats maggot clips

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
You saw it here first...../forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

Lee Swords

Reaction score
Sooty pellets are a new one on the Teme Severn range of pellets ..they are very very good hook baits.

Quite a fast breakdown when compared with elips but i generally find that they are not "in" long enough to dissolve

S

Sean Meeghan

Nice one Lee - everything (well nearly) comes to he who waits.

I do like the idea of gluing maggots to a pellet - roll on next season.

Are you going to the Wetherby do?

D

Dave Burr

Lee you should have used your cheese board mate, big fish guaranteed/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

Cracking article, you are a one off.