Help Me Please

paul folan

Reaction score
HELLO EVERYBODY

i am a compleat novice and just started fishing and i am going to thorpe lea this weekend and was hoping all you experts out there will take pity on me and advise me on what type of rig to use and bait i.e type and flavour.

i look forward to reading all of your replys

Ian Gemson

Reaction score
Hello paul.

Thorple lea is fishing very well at the moment the best pegs are 15, 16 & 17 and on the M25 bank 50 49 48 47 & 46 small baits ie 10mm or 8mm even single bits of fake corn are scoring really well cast at range ie 130 yards to showing carp with very very small PVA bags. Helicopter rigs or a mdified running rig like this does the business.

http://smartcarping.blogspot.com/2009/03/how-to-set-up-side-clip-running-rig.html

Here is an article I did with Ian Welsh on theM25 bank which show the rigs I used.

http://smartcarping.blogspot.com/2007/12/anglers-mail-feature-mission.html

Tight Lines mate let us know how you get on

I am there tomorrow I will post some pics of the session for you.

Tight Lines

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader></blockquote><blockquote class=quoteheader>paul folan wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

HELLO EVERYBODY

<u>i am a compleat novice and just started fishing and i am going to thorpe lea this weekend </u>and was hoping all you experts out there will take pity on me and advise me on what type of rig to use and bait i.e type and flavour.

i look forward to reading all of your replys </blockquote><blockquote class=quoteheader>Ian Gemson wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

Hello paul.

Thorple lea is fishing very well at the moment the best pegs are 15, 16 & 17 and on the M25 bank 50 49 48 47 & 46 small baits ie 10mm or 8mm even single bits of fake corn are scoring really well <u>cast at range ie 130 yards to showing carp with very very small PVA bags</u>. Helicopter rigs or a mdified running rig like this does the business.</blockquote>

Dear Ian, I am a complete novice. Could you tell me how to go out and cast 130yards with small pva bags please.

How do you snort with a smiley?

Ian Gemson

Reaction score
Good point paraman, however he asked and I told him how its fishing would prefer I lie to the guy ?.

You also make the assumption the guy is a complete novice to all sorts of fishing for all we know he may be an expert beech angler used to casting a very long way and is just new to carp angling ?. ( A wild guess)

"Dear Ian, I am a complete novice. Could you tell me how to go out and cast 130yards with small pva bags please."

Probably with the correct tackle and a good teachera positive attitude and you might just be able to do it ?.

I cant help you with your "Snorting problem" perhaps you need a different forum for that sort of thing ?

I see however you are full of support and assistance to Paul !!!!.

Tight Line Paraman

B

Barry Edney

Well he does say he has just started fishing Ian. If that is the case I think Thorpe Lea is the wrong venue. I believe that anglers should 'serve an apprenticeship' before going to a venue and catching 20lb carp. I dread to think how a 'compleat novice' would play a fish of this size. Perhaps Royal Berkshire or Twynersh would be a more fitting venue, catching a few smaller fish to get the hang of playing fish.

Welcome to FM and fishing BTW Paul. /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

C

Cakey

Paraman ..................beat up the smiley and snort the lot ! /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

paul folan

Reaction score
WOW thanks everyone for all your responses.

i have to agree with Barry about playing a 20lb carp. i would gladly serve an apprenticeship or take coaching lessons.

so that will be my next question does anyone no how ii go about getting coahing lessons. i live in reigate surrey so not to far away please.

Ian i am looking forward to seeing how you got on today

trev (100M bronze)

Reaction score
Paul welcome to the site mate and all it has to offer. You will get loads of advice from all sorts of people on here some are more accomplished than others but all advice is offered as genuine.

Ian teaches at Thorpe Lea and knows his stuff for that venue. There are hundreds of anglers out in the world that are complete beginners and have never served any apprenticeship at all so please dont think that you have to start off catching small stuff until your peers think you are worthy of catching bigger fish.

Get out there with the kit youve got and enjoy yourself. There will be other anglers at the venue you choose along with bay leafs and they will be happy to help you out if you ask them.

paul folan

Reaction score
Thanks Trev

i do feel i have come to the right place.

i hope to be posting photos of all the fish i catch

thanks again

paul