WYE CHUB & AND OTHER STUFF

Reaction score
I'm thinking about some trips to the Wye next season. I'm told the chub fishing is pretty good (as long as the poachers keep off).

What stretches are good places to start?

Which clubs could I consider joining for decent stretches? Also are there any good day ticket stretches.

A database with this sort of info on it would be good.

I am also thinking of taking my son (11). Are there any dangerous parts we should avoid?

Recomendations for places to stay would also be good.

Lord Paul

Reaction score
I think you raise an interesting idea with a database of places to fish - but why just chub and the Wye? I could see this working if it listed clubs and their controlling stretches were put on a data base along with what species were where - but given the nature of some "super secret" angler I can't see this working

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Matt, in the main the Wye is generally about 6ft+ deep with varying bank heights but few are more dangerous than any river really. The Red lion stretch is pretty safe for kids but I wouldn't leave them to fend for themself at 11 years old on any river quite frankly, you never know what they get up to and kids do not sense danger like their elders.

Again, as I always say when folk ask about the Wye, I suggest you have a chat with Woody in his Hereford shop as he knows the Wye like the back of his hand and he will put you on to a safe chub water for the price of a day ticket (£5). Anywhere round Hereford is chubby but the town water called the Tennis courts is a very safe area and hold lots of chub and barbel again for the same price day ticket.

Personally I wouldn't bother with the Wye foundation waters they are far too pricey and certainly no better than the day ticket stretches neither would I join a club, it just isn't worth it as far as I am concerned. I know loads of places on the Wye but I would recommend the Hereford area to anyone trying it for the first time, it is as good as any fishery on the Wye and I have fished most of them so I am not talking without knowing.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Matt,

You don't want much do you, sure you don't want someone to buy your bait and cast out for you/forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif, Then bring breakfast in bed, or to your swim if you get out very early in the morning./forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

chub angler

Reaction score
Bring a rope in case it rains the banks can can be steep andget slippy

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

Surely it can't all be slippy ---thats not much good for an 11 year old is it ?

chub angler

Reaction score
no there not all steep and slippy but you cant tell where you will get to fish and its worth bringing one just in case.

E

Can't you suggest any 'safe' places where you don't have to arrive dressed in crampons and needing ropes--

I've never fished the Wye (in fact I don't think I've ever seen it -other than pictures))and would be interested in some places too -- just in case I did decide to give it a go

E

I might even have a go on the fly......

chub angler

Reaction score
Sorry ED and Matt I wasnt trying to put you off. Bartonsham meadows are not to dodgey. The park is alright and by the bridges Wye and Victoria. The banks are a bit steep by the tennis courts but like I said there only slippy if its rained or the river has been up. I think you would like it

Morespiders

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one) wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>I might even have a go on the fly......</blockquote>

No you wont Bibby, I want it back.

Corker, a ropes a good idea, tie it round your neck in case you slip, make sure you tie it tight.

Morespiders

Reaction score
Chub, If me and Bibby come can you get us a rope,we will need one being old and unfirm on our feet

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Or to a bridge/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gifand try a bungee jump/forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif.

Chub,

Matt has trouble fishing with line, so with rope,would it be best to fish a hairrig?

E

<blockquote class=quoteheader>Morespiders (ACA) wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote><blockquote class=quoteheader>ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one) wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>I might even have a go on the fly......</blockquote>

No you wont Bibby, I want it back.</blockquote>

I wasnt talking about THAT fly --

I've got another one now it's sort of black and fluffy and it's better than the brownish one you gave me

What flies are best down there Chub

Morespiders

Reaction score
Chub wont know he doesnt fly fish <blockquote class=quoteheader>ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one) wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote><blockquote class=quoteheader>Morespiders (ACA) wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote><blockquote class=quoteheader>ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one) wrote (see)</blockquote></blockquote>

I've got another one now it's sort of black and fluffy and it's better than the brownish one you gave me</blockquote>
Oh no its not

E

<blockquote class=quoteheader>Ray Daywalker Clarke wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>Oh yes it is!</blockquote>
How do you know ???

chub angler

Reaction score
I phoned sues and they said to use a dry black gnat or a daddy longlegs floated over your targeted area . I havent tried them because I dont fly fish.