rigs

L

Lee Buchan

could any1 tell me how to set up the helicopter rig. iv seen it in magazines and not been able to set it up properly. so could anybody help me please.

R

Roto Fryer

dont waste your time
because it exists you have not got to use it

D

David Will

Roto you can't leave it at that give the chap an alternative. You will give us Herts boys a bad name :)
Lee why do you want to use it , is tangles the reason or is it to overcome weed or silt.

C

Carp Angler

Roto is right that because it exists, doesn't mean that you need to use it, but to not give a reason or alternative was a bit shallow.

Lee,
answer David's question as to why you want to use it, is it to overcome a problem or do you feel that it will gain you an advantage?

L

Lee Buchan

i was watching a andy little fishing video and he uses a helicopter rig in some reeds.i fish a lake near me and theres a peg were the fish move in and out the reeds so i was going to try there with the helicopter rig. if i shouldn't use the helicopter what other rig should i use. cheers

D

David Will

Lee I cannot see any advantage in using a helicopter rig in these circumstances.I have fished a swim like this on one lake. I found a simple bolt rig (before the days of Korda clips)with the lead capable of freeing itself worked well.I used a 10 to 18 inch braid hook link , no place for a stiff rig IMHO. Of the two rods the one fished on the exit from the reeds took most fish. Light baiting far outcaught heavy baiting.IE 10 - 20 baits per fish.Spend some time looking to see the acess and exit points used by the Carp.Knocking or bowing reed stems are the clue.
Lee a badly constructed helicopter rig is a death rig and when first used fish were lost due to the angle of pull during the fight on the main line.It has it's place I think but others may not agree.I like it over light weed and silt with light leads.I adjust the gap between bottom and top bead to allow the hooklink to remain above the weed or silt.

L

Lee Buchan

dave/rik
its a silty bottom, the fish i watched moved into the reeds through some lilly pads but were constantly on the move.
at a guess the silt area seems to be stretching from the edge of the pads out about 6ft and then onto a clay bottom. do you think it would be better for me to use a running lead set up and fished locked up tight. thanks

C

Carp Angler

I'd be more inclined to fish the running rig as opposed to a heli set up.
The placing of the trap on their route/path is much more important than the rig.

Finding the entrance/exit points and the depth at which they swim is much, much more important.

M

marcel flateau

i am new to carpping,and will be greatfull for some simple rigs to have a go with,if any one can send me some pics how to tie hairs best boillie,s even recipes for making bollies thanks. help

L

Lee Buchan

Marcel,
Check out the rigs page link, or do a search over the net for carp rigs

Colin W

Reaction score
nothing wrong with a helicopter/chod rig i use them all time they are great.

L

Les Clark

Colin , it`s taken you nearly 5 years to make your mind up over this one :):):)

Colin W

Reaction score
lol yes looking at the dates on these it has he he , ah well good things come to those who waits ha ha. tight lines m8.