Cost of Fishing

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Fm members come from all walks of life, and from all over the world.

I was wondering if there is much difference in club ticket's, day ticket's, here in the UK,and also around the world.

my fishing costs are as follows,

Club 1, £95 a season

Club 2, £80 a season.

I also buy a ticket for a lake £55 a season, this lake retains the close season.

I doubt I will bother with a cemex ticket this year as they are taking the P with some waters, a ticket last year covered a river and lake, this year they want an extra £40 if you want to fish the lake aswell.

I gave up my Spinners ticket, £350 very good waters, but to much time driving to get to the venues.

So my fishing this year will cost me, £230, plus any day ticket waters I may go to. My Wife only cost me an extra £10 per club, but my 3 sons also have to pay the same as me.

E

EC

Club 1 £165 p.a

Club 2 £90 p.a

Club 3 £50 p.a

Club 4 £9 (that's nine) p.a

But to do any club justice I had to move house, and increase my mortgage.

Edit: It is all worth it, I fished approx 90times last year.

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
I am only a member of one club and that costs me £26 a year, but i do frequent a few local day ticket waters as well, that range from around £5 to £8 a day.

I just don't have the finances at the moment to justify forking out to fish several club waters. Saying that i don't have the time either to fish so i only go once a week.

Tight Lines /forum/smilies/devil_smiley.gif

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Club 1 : £90

Club 2 : £75

Club 3 :£70

Plus I reckon at least £250 on day tickets and "special days".

Plus my trout day tickets...say another £150.Plus the same agin for accomodation

Plus a full rod licence at £70 and that's before I've bought any bait or tackle or started the car ! Without any "major" purchases I reckon its got to be about £1K a year.

Christ...good job the missus isn't looking !

Wobbly Face (As Per Ed)

Reaction score
Club 1 - coarse fishing, £55. has 6 ponds different sizes.

Club 2 - trout fishing, £90. Has 38 acre res + small overflow res.

Then what ever day ticket waters I care to go to or weekly tickets if on hols.

There is also some free fishing near me as well.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Well i was waiting for someone to say it, and S-kippy did..............Christ.

The cost of fishing is not as cheap as many say it is. Not when you add bait tackle, petrol, rod licence, B&B, which you have to take into account if you do stay away.

I used to travel down to Dorset and stay in a B&B as there was no night fishing, the cost of travel and B&B for a weekend was around £120 a time, one year I did it 7 times, plus the club ticket at £350.

Ihave cut back on club membership's, not so much because of cost, but I had to many waters to fish, and could not justify paying £105 and £350 for club ticket's, and only fish their waters two or three times a year, if that. Plus I think you need to spend time on a water to get to know it.

preston96

Reaction score
I guest a lot!/forum/smilies/tongue_out_smiley.gif

preston96

Reaction score
You know what Ray.........this is a really thought provoking post,i havealso been guilty of having to many waters to fish,in fact i paid for myself and my lad to join a "club"who have a gravel pit that holds some nice tench,roach,etc.......................we ain't been near the place!!!

I'm coming home!!!................backto the waters i know,Severn,Wye and the tribs for my river fishing and the odd trip to visit pals on their waters.

Thats where friendships made on FM really come into play.

Lord Paul

Reaction score
Club ticket £65 pa

River Rother - free plus 15 minutes walk

Small pond next to Rother -Free 15 minutes walk

Small pond in field in the middle of nowhere - free - 45 minutes walk - but to be honest I've not fished this yet just walked to it with the dog looking for signs to see if there are any fish in it!

Xplorer1

Reaction score
Club 1 £145

Club 2 £31 (over 60)

EA license £70

Tackle - capital (rods, reels etc) - £700 this past year but just started fishing again

Tackle - ongoing (hooks, line etc) - £5 a week?

Bait £5 a trip max

Travel minimal - all local

Compare to golf, skiiing, football season tickets and trainfares - cheap cheap cheap

slime monster

Reaction score
I have had to tighten my belt my earnings this year are £5000 down through reduced bonuses ,like Ray i used to think nothing of driving 100 miles now its 5 and I am enjoying fishing local waters and meeting old friends.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Its not cheap but it is what we do....and to do it well & enjoy it to the full that costs no matter what your chosen pastime is.

My fishing time is limited.I am well past the time when I <u>had</u> to go out somewhere no matter what and generally had the time to do it.I treasure my trips now and increasingly this means fewer trips but to special places and for that I accept I've got to pay.

But I long ago dismissed the idea that it was a cheap pastime.Its not....and of all the fishing I do probably the trout fishing is the cheapest because there's no outlay on bait.By the time I've shelled out on bait,bits,meals,petrol and a day ticket for coarse fishing I doubt there's much change from £50...double the cost of a trout trip.

I dont drink.Now I understand why !

Skippy

ps I am a shameless tackle tart too.Makes it even more expensive.

Lord Paul

Reaction score
The cost is what we make it - buy a licnce - £26 - one rod and reel and line and hooks and bait of maggots - fish local free water - cost about £100 a year- but i guess most of us here aren't like that/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Golf is cheap, local club here £550 a year. Clubs one off deal.

I used to play a bit, 12 handicap, and many of my mates, couldn't understand why as angler's , we pay for bait to throw in the water. My fishing cost far more than my golf ever did.

At the end of the day, any sport can cost you a small fortune, if you want to pay out for the extra's. The idea of this thread is to try and make people think just how much they do really spend on their fishing.

Wobbly Face (As Per Ed)

Reaction score
Forgot to mention I fish one lake 2.5 acres that is run by local tackle shop, 12 anglers only and costs £75. £220 in total without day ticket or holiday outlay.

I have ditched two other clubs, though one fished well and was local, cost £60 had several complexes with numerouis ponds and a few one of ponds. Joined this to cut down on both travel time and travel costs. Used to be a member of Lymm but hated traveling in ther morning in rush hour, from 7am to 9am and evenings 4pm to 7pm. Heavy traffic between these times, so had to make more than a day of it, leaving home 5 6 in the morning and getting back at 8 or 9 at night. Travel time took anything from 30 mins to over 90 mins depending on what water visiting and times of travel. Add fuel costs and wear and tear on car.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Just a for instance.I like the Test at Timsbury which is 80 odd miles from me so I reckon the maths are

160 miles return say 5 gallons = £20

Food,drinks,bait & bits say £12

Day ticket £18

That's £50 a trip and I've fished it 5 times since Christmas !

I could have winkled about locally for barelya tenth of the cost,caught a few bits,wouldn't be able to tell you anything about it and wouldn't have enjoyed it...in fact I'd probably have been really hacked off for wasting precious fishing time.

Which is not to imply that I am so loaded I can afford to do this because I most certainly am not but that's what I want from my fishing now so I wince,stump up.enjoy meself and dont begrudge a penny of it.

It is what I do.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
I think many of us are the same S-kippy,

I have fished Timsbury, Barton Court, Blenheim Palace, all great days out, it's something about these kind of place's, not just the fishing.

I used to drive upto the Trent, start off 3 in the morning, get there fish all day drive home, get back 11, 12 at night. Then I found a good B&B, so the trips became wholeweekends, loved every second of it.

I still have my special trips out, and am happy to pay for it. There will alway's be angler's who are happy fishing a local club water, paying for little bait, not much tackle and a membership fee of around £50, then it is cheap. If you are like me and other's, then fishing isn't cheap.

We are only here once, so while I am, I am going to enjoy my fishing on club water's, and have those special days out, with old and new friend's.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
I do know one FM member who's fishing is all free, everything, he doesn't pay for a thing.

He just gets Uncle Dave to pay/forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif