diawa regal bite n run reel

R

Robert Draper

If you can get them at the right price they are. I bought a pair last year and they have performed admirably for a bit of carping, piking and the odd sea trip. Places like Mullarkeys are doing them for around 35-40 quid or so making them way better than comparably prices reels. Probably better suited to medium-long range fishing than extreme range due to the traditional spool shape but the freespool is smooth and the whole reel feels well-engineered (unlike some of the other budget models I looked at).

P

Phil Hatton

Ben,I just picked up a second hand X model and so far it's doing the business.For the price of anew one I do'nt think you can go wrong m8

A

Alan Roe

For only a little more you could get one of the Okuma baitrunners which are superb bits of kit.

I've just ordered two more I'm that pleased with them

D

Dave Silvers

Ben, Ive been using a pair of Diawa Regals
for the last two years for carp and pike.
Obviously they are not the best on the market but at the price (about 35 quid) you can't go wrong.
One slight criticism the clutch is a little noisy when stripping line off, but at least it lets those around you know your into a decent fish

C

Chris Bishop

Not bad for the price, spools are a bit pasticky and narrow and the tension on the (better not call it a baitrunner...) free-spool is a bit fiddly, fairly robust and the way the handles fold is much better than Shimano reels. They might not be the trendiest bit of kit out but a good entry-level buy.

Shop around and you can pick them up for under 30 squids.

S

Stormin' Norman

It's what i started with, and I've got 3 of them still. somewhere!

The smaller 4050 makes for an excellant heavy feeder reel. Very good for barbel fishing.

R

Ralph Abbott

If you do buy a pair you will need to remove the excess plastic around the top of the spool where the two parts of the mould have met, could not get on with mine until I cleaned them off with some fine wet & dry paper. Now they cast!

Otherwise they are great.