Southern Trout Day

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Following on from the Press Manor (very successful) fish-ins, and noting Richard's question earlier;

Is there any interest in a Southern version?

Let me know and we'll see if we can organise something in a suitable area.

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Very much so! Having just got back into fly fishing, I've already amassed a load of potential visits from surfing the web. There should be a huge variety of waters available from small ponds to large reservoirs.

If you need any help in organising Peter, give me a shout.

Oh! and of course there's that venue just a short walk from your front door!

Windy

Reaction score
Maidment my man ! Does this change of emphasis mean that you will be passing on the Marsh Farm crucians this close season ?

And if so do you fancy a trip to Albury and Albury Estate's lakes Which, come to think of it, would be a damn good venue for a south eastern fish in...... returning to topic !

R

Richard Drayson

Sounds great Peter. I'd love to attend a Southern Trout Day somewhere.

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Windy wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

Maidment my man ! Does this change of emphasis mean that you will be passing on the Marsh Farm crucians this close season ?

And if so do you fancy a trip to Albury and Albury Estate's lakes Which, come to think of it, would be a damn good venue for a south eastern fish in...... returning to topic ! </blockquote>

Now there's a thought! I've yet to fish Albury but from what I hear its well worth a visit. What you doing on Sunday??/forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

Haven't touched the coarse gear since the last weekend but have fished:

Avon Springs

Robinswood

Hazel Copse

Woodington

And next Saturday:

Manningford

(Might still find the odd hour or two for another 4lb Crucian tho!)

/forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Shrek,

Any one of those in Neil's post above.

These are located in west Hampshire and southern Wiltshire and are easily accessible by motorway or main trunk roads, like the A303 for example.

One or two of them are very close to decent pubs' whwre we could arrange lunch and a dinner if people wanted it.

C

Colin North, the one and only

Depending on the date and distance, Sue and I might be interested. We already have a day booked at Yew Tree, with the Kent Branch of S&TA (of which I happen to be ChairPERSON)

njb51

Reaction score
Hmm, I've only ever been Fly Fishing once at Albury. Good day it was too! I'm interested for now. Although I don't have anything even resembling 'fly' gear!

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Jonny,

I am sure that we can sort you out with a suitable rod, reel and lines.

Once we have a few more interested we will see if we can arrange both a venue and a date.

Windy

Reaction score
If there is serious interest then I will happily chat to the folks at Albury, as it is just three or four miles up the road from me. 'twould need a date tho....

And I have a spare rod or two that might suit for those that might need one.

Windy

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Neil Maidment wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>Haven't touched the coarse gear since the last weekend but have fished:

Avon Springs

Robinswood

Hazel Copse

Woodington</blockquote>

Bloody hell.... and it's only Thursday !!!

If you're fishing that much it's time you had a sponsor and appropriately be-logo-ed livery !

davebike

Reaction score
I could be on fro this depending on dates, haven't had the fly gear out for a year or more !

I used to fish Albury often nice place

Muffin

Reaction score
Yeah I'd be interested in some fluff chucking!

Been about a year since my last fly fishing attempt, and is always a good laugh to see my casting style!

I'd be very interested in attending a fly fish in.

Simon

Rog Hill

Reaction score
Good idea, but rather than having to pay a fortune for the type of pricing scheme at Albury (bearing in mind the length of day preferred for a fish-in and the need for more tickets if the fish bite to eagerly) would a C & R venue or a reservoir such as Chew, Blagden or Sutton Bingham be more practical, and value for money?

Either way would definately be interested.

ATB

Roger

S

Sean Meeghan

I might be persuaded to come down and meet the Southern Jessies /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Sean,

You would be more than welcome, and I have a few spare rooms and am told I do a reasonable breakfast.

Not too sure if you can handle 'proper' beer, (Hogsback Brewery) but you are really welcome nonetheless.

[ insert smiley face - - - > H E R E ]

W

Wolfman Woody

Your breakfasts are memorable, Peter! Very memorable.

/forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

Can we fish with larger flies for Toothy Trout? -
fox_dolphin_1_bg.jpg

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks Jeff.

As to fishing for the 'toothy' strain of 'trout' I'm afraid the answer is no, you wil have to wait for the Glorious 16th, for that.

Don't let that put you off though, come along and re-live your fly fishing days.