Warrington Anglers Vs Lymm Anglers

Gregg Mannarn

Reaction score
I'm not trying to start a fight as the title of the thread may suggest but am merely trying to decide which of these clubs to join, if indeed any?

So i'm after some feedback and opinions from existing members regarding which club is the better, which has the better waters and which is the best value for money.

Also and maybe most importantly if i join one of these clubs do i stand any chance of actually getting on to the waters? Or are they busy all the time?

Wobbly Face (As Per Ed)

Reaction score
Used to bein Lymm but left, ruined some waters by netting. Also another water that was netted and turned to carp only I had no chance of geting on as overnighters had bivvied up and before they left they had their mates turn up for the spot. They also lost some good water that I enjoyed fishing. A mate who was in Lymm with me is now in Warrington. Saying that, Lymm now has a diffenernt commitee, new members on board so they may run it differently and better.

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
Used to be in Lymm also, missed my fees by a couple of weeks said I had to pay joining fee again which is pants ,glad to say Warrington are alot more friendly but had some super catches on the Lymm card.
Warrington waters can get busy of a weekend but you will always have somere to fish ,midweek would be my prefernce though.
What fish are you after as Warrington opens up some nice river fishing for you.

Wobbly Face (As Per Ed)

Reaction score
Gav, lymm must have bben after members this year, they sent me a letter as a previous member offering me the chance to rejoin without having to pay joining fee. Still declined as I have fishing elsewhere closer to home.

Reaction score
Lymm of what was once one of the North Wests premier tench waters. It is near to one of Warringtons premier specimen waters.

The lymm water once held large tench and was the home to the British record golden orfe (it was once famous for it large orfe population)

This water was ruined in my opinion after it was stocked with barbel, nuisance pasties, trout and SALMON!

This was more than 10 years ago. I'm not sure how good it is now, but there were clearly some bad stocking decisions made in the past.

I do know there are few orfe left.

SALMON!

Reaction score
Gregg

Why don't you ring/email the club secretaries and ask about the waters and anything else you neeed to know. Both clubs have info on their websites too.

WAA shows you exact locations of all waters and gives info on species present plus other tips.

What sort of fishing are you looking for?

Wobbly Face (As Per Ed)

Reaction score
You talking about Lymmvale Matt. Fished it myself several times and yes some good golden orf and good tench. Caught my biggest barbel from there. they also stocked grayling. Don't know if grayling or the barbel survived. They had a huge problem with cormorants so built some floating islands. It also held some big carp. Don't know how it fishes now though.

E

EC

I thought this thread was going to bea 'last man standing'death match between the committee members 'type thread' in which case my money would be on Lythgoe (that is Mrs L not Mr F).

WAA is a really good club and has someof the best stillwaters in the north west, it has river fisheriesthe length and breadth of the country,and probably the most underused and under ratedfisheries in theregion in terms of the stretches of canal that it has access too.

Edit: Having read the intitial questionI would choose WAA. I was a member of WAA for 19 years and only once did I arrive at a water and feel it was a bit too busy however I just chose another water10 minutes away. That said I am sure that some waters will probably be a bit busier at a weekend,especially in summer,but with those canal and river stretches you will never be stuck for somewhere to go.

Drop me a pm if you want any more specific details.

Julian Parkin 2

Reaction score
Firstly I haven't been a member of Lymm so can't comment on that.

But have been a member of WAA since 1986 and although I still live on the Wirral and spend most of my time fishing (and working) in Hampshire/Berkshire I still hold on to my WAA membership as their choice of waters is second to none and I still use the canals in the winter for piking and the odd trip to the R Severn.

Great value for money.

Some of the more popularwaters do get busy on the summer weekends, but there's so much to choose from you can't go wrong.

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
Thanks Wobbly ,changed adresses a few times since then ,will stick to my WAA card like you mate.

Gregg Mannarn

Reaction score
Thanks to everyone for the helpful feedback, it's just what i was after. It sounds like Warrington is edging it at the moment.

Ian Whittaker

Reaction score
Based on what I used to see on the ribble I wouldn't join WAA /forum/smilies/angry_smiley.gif

Reaction score
You, me and Spiders fishing? May put off those of a more delicate disposition!

I am interested to hear what Ian's concerns are...I'm thinking of re-joining WAA in addition to my BMAC membership (more money than sense ....I'd only go and spend it on another rod/reel that I don't need!)

What ho Corkers!

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
Poshers I hear the place has been took over by a posh guy from Stockport ,dress code puts most folks off top hats are not worn much in these parts,Also the last time down we found lots of tubes and funnels and there was a funny smell about the place which led us to believe there may have been a bit of on the side foreigner Colonicing going on.
And worst of all the place seemed to be full of midge but they have all gone which led us to believe there is a very large man eating spider on the prowl.

Reaction score
Gav,

I know you're as concerned about the dress standards of the modern angler....very few of them wear dresses for those summer evening matches at all these days. There is the occasional skirt and blouse but otherwise it is so casual - crimplene leisurewear is just naff!!

I am concerned that you've seen evidence of unauthorised colonicing of foreigners; they get enough hassle copping the blame for English fish thieves (stands back and waits!!!)

Spiders would be very upset at a large man eating Spiders....even deanos stops at donkeys.

meanwhile...what has Ian seen on the Ribble...it is worrying...Matt, Spiders and I are sometimes alone on the bank...and we're timid folk with very nervous dispositions.

J

john conway (CSG - ACA)

Yes I'd also be interested in : -And what did you see on the Ribble Ian?

Gregg Mannarn

Reaction score
Well i wouldn't be going on the Ribble if i joined WAA so it doesn't really matter, but damn it i can't stand the suspense any longer!!!!! WHAT HAPPENED ON THE RIBBLE??!!!/forum/smilies/surprised_smiley.gif