Carp Compo 12th June 2002

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
After careful consideration (no pressure honest!!!) it’s been decided that the rules for swim allocation are as follows: We meet in the Car Park of Hunts Corner at 8AM and we draw numbers out of a hat ranging from 1-19 at 8:30AM. The person who picks Number 1 out of the hat has first choice of swim and so on and so on. Everyone will be positioned at their swim by 9AM and shortly afterwards there will be a whistle blown and everyone will commence fishing. (If you can get their early, may I suggest you take a brief walk around the venue in order to investigate swim choice etc)

We will cease fishing at 9AM on the following day (Thursday) meet at my swim within minutes and have a short photo shoot for the site and then commence with a short presentation for winners and losers etc. Once this has been completed, everyone can go back to their swims and either pack-up and make their way home or stay and fish with those of us who are staying on. The rules for the actual event will be posted on here one week before the event.

At 7pm on the first day, we can all reel in our rods and again meet at my swim where we will suffer the culinary delights of Warren’s cooking etc!! Please bring along ?4 for this whether you eat or not. Alcohol is permitted, but not supplied, so please bring this yourself

The rules to be followed for the venue are as follows:
Maximum of Two Rods
Un-Hooking Mats
Carp antiseptic cream/gel

Stuart & Cakey!

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
Venue Guide; although I haven’t fished this venue, I have been talking with Len Gurd of Linear Fisheries and have been advised that the Margins offer good sport and that Particle baits have been and will be a good choice for the day. Relevant information regarding maps, advice on depths and tactics will be greatly appreciated.

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
CONFIRMED LIST

1 - Stuart - (got sponsor form) - (S/A)
2 - Cakey -(got sponsor form) - (S/S)
3 - Rik - (got sponsor form) - (S/S)
4 - Graham -(got sponsor form) - (N/S)
5 - Mike Fidler – (got sponsor form) – (S/S)
6 - Gypsy Dave - (got sponsor form) - (S/S)
7 - Alan Roe – (got sponsor form) - (N/A)
8 - Austin Buchan- (got sponsor form) (N/A)
9 - Ian White - (got sponsor form) (S/S)
10 - Warren Gaunt - (got sponsor form) – (S/A)
11 - Murray Rogers - (got sponsor form) – (S/A)
12 - Dave Johnson – (got sponsor form) – (N/A)
13 - Phil Hatton – (got sponsor form) – (N/A)
14 - Gary Knowles - (got sponsor form) - ( N/A)
15 - John (aka) Stuart - (got sponsor form) - (N/A)
16 - Wendy Perry – (got sponsor form) (N/A)
17 - Alastair Cambel – (got sponsor form) (N/S)
18 - Lee White – (got sponsor form) (S/S)
19 - Wayne Mitchell - (got sponsor form) (S/S)

If any of the above have any doubts in their mind or feel for some reason due to work or personal reasons that they may not be able to attend, then please email me at: stuartdennis@msn.com as others will happily take your place. If this is the case, you can still raise what you can for Charity, but more importantly, allow others to enjoy the event. With the event date now looming, now would be a honourable time to let me know. Please don’t feel embarrassed in coming forward as I would seriously appreciate knowing well in advance than having to find out on the day! And who knows how much abuse you would get then, and forever more!!! :)

Thanks

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Thanks Stuart, that clarifies it nicely. For those of us travelling from the north pole there will be a chance we might be late for the 8.30am draw, which, of course, is our problem. But what's the plan in that case for late arrivers?

Could I suggest that anyone arriving too late for the draw simply picks a swim from any of those that are left?

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
It would of course be a shame if the ‘Northern’ers’ were to turn up late, but to be expected with the lack of electricity to run modern Alarm Clocks etc. But in answering your question, for those who turn up late, they will get the pick of the swims that are left. The time set for kick-off may seem early for the travelling contenders, however, This has not been set for convenience sake, its been set for Linear Fisheries.

This may turn out to be a yearly event guys and gals, so should be deemed a special occasion. On this basis, we should make an effort to be there at kick-off even if you do have to travel for 4-5 hours. You will be able to catch up on your sleep through the event, I mean lets face it, it aint gonna be your buzzers keeping you awake is it??

If we can all make it on time, I will pledge to arrange next years event up north somewhere! But lets all try to make an effort, as next year the onus will be on us ‘Southern-Shandy Drinkers’ to get up early!

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
A message re directions from Warren:

Not the easiest of pits to find Stuart. I been fishing pit next to it. I'm sure you'll get everyone there ok though. Dozens of lakes of all shapes and sizes. I think as you come off the main drag( Eynsham Road b449) there's a sign for Hunts corner as well as West Oxford sailing club. You pull off the main road, drive down track and over road humps for about quarter a mile, round a bend, carry on another quater a mile or so, past the sailing club on ya left, down past Newlands, at the end of Newlands bear left into Oxlease (BIG Perch!!) then onto Hunts.

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
CONFIRMED LIST

1 - Stuart - (got sponsor form) - (S/A)
2 - Cakey -(got sponsor form) - (S/S)
3 - Rik - (got sponsor form) - (S/S)
4 - Graham -(got sponsor form) - (N/S)
5 - Mike Fidler – (got sponsor form) – (S/S)
6 - Gypsy Dave - (got sponsor form) - (S/S)
7 - Alan Roe – (got sponsor form) - (N/A)
8 - Austin Buchan- (got sponsor form) (N/A)
9 - Ian White - (got sponsor form) (S/S)
10 - Warren Gaunt - (got sponsor form) – (S/A)
11 - Murray Rogers - (got sponsor form) – (S/A)
12 - Dave Johnson – (got sponsor form) – (N/A)
13 - Phil Hatton – (got sponsor form) – (N/A)
14 - Gary Knowles - (got sponsor form) - ( N/A)
15 - Wayne Mitchell - (got sponsor form) (S/S)
16 - Wendy Perry – (got sponsor form) (N/A)
18 - Lee White – (got sponsor form) (S/S)

Unfortunately our resident ‘chirpy-chappie’ Stu Johnson has had to pull out due to extreme work issues.
Stu’s Comments:
“I will be giving Graham a bottle of malt and a Hutchie rucksack (the one that retails just under a ?100) that can be used towards prizes/raffle or what ever. Sorry to let you down.”

No issues Stu, thanks for your kind gifts and kind words, Maybe next year mate and thanks for letting us know in advance. If anyone else is the same predicament, please get in touch sooner rather than later.

L

Lee Buchan

Thanks Stu,
I'll tell my dad he's useless at map reading (he's even worse at fishing but don't tell him I said that)!

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
Venue update:
Just got off the phone to Roy who’s the balliff at Hunts corner who expressed good feedback in that some good size fish have been coming out over the last week or so. There’s been a 33lb fully scaled mirror out, following that a 26.14 mirror on Heathrow Bait Pineapple pop-ups, there’s been a 24.4 out on Active-8 and oodles and oodles of the stockies coming out between 9-12lb.

The recommended bait for the average fisherman (or woman) is popped-up sweetcorn or other such like particles which is producing extremely well, but it seems pop-ups are the flavour of the month whatever your bait maybe. The guys at Linear are a little concerned regarding spawning as they feel the fish are getting ready and then with the unsettled weather changing their minds. Although of course we are hopeful that all turns out well for the event. I understand that this is mainly down to the female carp, who are probably suffering migraines!!!

Of course I’ll be checking in nearly every week now until the event so will keep you posted!

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
Another good point to mention, is that the car park is literally on the doorstep to peg number one and of course the rest of the lake. As I won’t be entering the compo and probably only gonna be dipping me baits in the water when it gets dark, I’ll be taking that swim due to its focal situation regarding communal areas etc. No! before you start I don’t know whether it’s a good swim or crap this is based solely on organisation throughout the event, nothing else. As stated above, I will not be entering the compo, just hassling or helping depending on how well your doing!!

I thought I’d get that in quick before Graham piped up as I know he’s partial to car park swims!

P.S. Are there any likely drop-outs at this stage?

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
It is with great regret that I have to inform you that our Wendy is unable to attend our charity compo on June 12th. As we all know, the loverlee Wendy has been plagued lately with severe hip trouble. Wendy had recently undergone another round of hip surgery, only to find out that she has to go back for yet another round due to the hip collapsing.

I for one will sincerely miss her banter at the event and would like to wish her the very best of luck with her new bionic hip!

There?s always an upside Wendy, at least Big Rik won?t be able to fart on your head again!!

C

Carp Angler

Several points here.

I'm gutted that Wendy can't make it, I've been brewing one up since Saturday for her.

Get well soon chuck, maybe you can make the Atcham fish-in, they'll be some river carping going on for you to enjoy.

My second point is that Stuart has bagged the pre-baited car park swim already.

Bloody typical.

W

Wendy Perry

Thanks Stuart and Rik

I am gutted i can't come i have to have an emergency op next week and don't know when i will be up and about again.

Rik i'd been brewing one up for you as well :) You must let me know when the Atcham fish in is coz i want to be on that one .

To everyone else catch a biggy for me and have a fantastic 24hrs i will miss you all.

wend
xx

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
Please, Please, Please don't bite on Riks comments. I won't be fishing the compo its just for organisation and comunual purposes as guess who'll have to be running to the shops every five minutes.

Cheers Rik - You Git!
It's not pre-baited!......Yet

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Here's your first order for when you go to the shops - Chinese takeaway, beef and black bean sauce with chips.

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
That would have to be on condition of you paying Graham!
So me finks I won't be getting much excercise then!

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
CONFIRMED LIST - Enjoy!

1 - Stuart - (got sponsor form) - (S/A) (FISHING/HELPING BUT NOT IN COMPO)
2 – Roto – (got sponsor form) – (S/S) (FISHING/HELPING BUT NOT IN COMPO)

3 - Cakey -(got sponsor form) - (S/S) (FISHING WHEN NOT SLEEPING)
4 - Rik - (got sponsor form) - (S/S) (FISHING WHEN NOT MOANING)
5 - Graham -(got sponsor form) - (N/S) (FISHING WHEN NOT COUNTING HIS MONEY)
6 - Mike Fidler – (got sponsor form) – (S/S) (FISHING WHEN NOT EATING)
7 - Gypsy Dave - (got sponsor form) - (S/S) (FISHING WHEN NOT LYING)
8 - Alan Roe – (got sponsor form) - (N/A)
9 - Austin Buchan- (got sponsor form) (N/A) (FISHING WHEN NOT READING PROPERLY)
10 - Ian White - (got sponsor form) (S/S) (FISHING WHEN NOT STEALING)
11 - Warren Gaunt - (got sponsor form) – (S/A) (FISHING WHEN NOT COOKING)
12 - Murray Rogers - (got sponsor form) – (S/A)
13 - Dave Johnson – (got sponsor form) – (N/A)
14 - Phil Hatton – (got sponsor form) – (N/A)
15 - Gary Knowles - (got sponsor form) - ( N/A)
16 - Wayne Mitchell - (got sponsor form) (S/S) (FISHING WHEN NOT BITING)
18 - Lee White – (got sponsor form) (S/S) (FISHING WHEN NOT BLANKING)

Don’t worry, I’ll be filling in the blanks as we go along……unless of course you’d like to put me in the picture? stuartdennis@msn.com (all comments will be kept confidential!!! – honest)

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
You’ll be pleased to know that the founder and chief executive Doug Hulme of Second Chance Charity will be coming along first thing Thursday morning (the following day) to congratulate you all for your pathetic achievements on the night before and to explain a little about the charity and of course why its such a worthy cause.

There’s no backing out now Doug – so don’t even think about it, and of course you’re be automatically nominated as teas-maid!