How do I Make Balls of particles.

T

Tickle

Has any one got any tips on making balls of particle baits that can be catapulted any distance?????

B

Birds Nest

mix it with some scalded Vitalin and a handful of pellet...

L

Lee Buchan

you could try coating a bottom bait in glue and sticking the particles round it.

S

Stuart Johnson

ok Roto why dry them out? Is it to make them harder so you can fire them out further without them breaking up?

R

Roto Fryer

i always dry mine so u can make a lot at your lesiure and store them ok. they also do not break up when you fire them out. they may not go quite as far due to them being lighter but as you said stuart they dont break up (thats the theory )

C

Carp Angler

I make mine up and then freeze them.
Vitalin tends to go crumbly after it has cooled, so you need to do something with it.
I've tried to dry them and found that they break up too easily, so I stick with the frozen way.

Anthony Nash

Reaction score
Try using the particle powder that harry haskell invented. It was marketed under the Richworth label and was called Sticko pellet bond or something similar. it was usefull for particles aswell as pellets.

Anthony Nash

Reaction score
another method of getting your particles out a long way is to use a spod of course.But it can be just as effctive in the margins. it keeps baiting tight if thats what your after.Birds Nest idea to use groundbait and pellet is ace as this means your giving the fish something else other than just particles to eat. Anything with different textures and sizes will always keep them guessing.Or it will bring in the bream big style as i have found out lateley.

P

Phil Hatton

Guys,can I ask a really stupid,thick git ,north west bream bashers question. Just what do you consider to be a particle. Are we talk maize,tigers and such or am i wrong

I

Ian Welch

As Anthony said earlier the stuff you need is Richworth's Sticko Pellet Bond. It will bind any seeds or pellets into balls from marble to cricket ball size which will catapult 60 metres plus then dissolve within minutes of submersion.

Good old Harry Haskell. Genius!

B

Birds Nest

"Birds Nest idea to use groundbait and pellet is ace " Cant claim it as my idea, I read it in one of Riks articles...

J

john conway

Most of my ground bait for big bream holds as many particles as I can mix in without the ball becoming unstable. I like the idea of freezing the ground bait balls, never tried it, when I have time at home, rolling 5 –10kgs of ground bait into balls is a real pain in the backside. How long to defrost or do you fire them in frozen ?

C

Carp Angler

To answer two points here.

Richworth sticko bond, although a great product (powdered pva glue?????) you cannot really use it in a concerted particle attack.
For small quantities of pellets or pellet and hemp together, in a match style, then it is fantastic.
Large quantities of wet particles would take absolutely weeks to dry out and then dampen correctly to stick properley.

For John,
I ball my groundbait in whilst it is still frozen.
Last year I prebaited the lower Stour with 20 frozen, cricket ball sized lumps of vitalin/seed/pellet mix.
The swim in question was about 6 feet deep, with a clear gravel run between two weedbeds.
I was baiting from atop the bank directly above the gravel (about 8 feet above the water level) and was abviously not too worried whether the fish saw me or not as I was going to prebait for 4 or 5 days anyway.
Cricket ball sized lumps of frozen vitalin hitting the water from a combined height of about 12 feet or so do not enter the water gently, but by the 5th or 6th ball, the chub were actually attacking the balls in midwater to free any loose items from them.

If you ever need a confidence booster for your bait, then it must be seeing 'the wariest of fishes' going totally bonkers for it.

D

Dave Dowson

What is Vitalin and is it available in tackle shops.Caster and hemp angler me you see so baffled by all these new additives.

C

Carp Angler

Vitalin details can be found here.
It's a dry dog food (looks like rabbit food) and balls up well with warm water and holds particles well.