Why I Love Fishing

Reaction score
Great Piece - brought back the tolerance of grandparents as buckets of crabs were brought back from Canoe Lake in Southsea - and the terror of parents as they looked up to see, yet again, their five year old son wading into the River Gade just like the man fishing was doing.

We moved to Kent - I learned to swim and got a fishing rod and reel...that's it - hooked for life.

"I'll enjoy the nothingness instead." - I'm not sure there is nothingness but something completely different occupies your consciousness - a something which eradicates or places in perspective other more transient and mundane concerns.

Hope you and Steve achieve the 2lb river roach...and have too seek a new nothingness to enjoy

Poshers

P

Phillips Jerry

Complete oppersite I spend nearly every waking moment on planing the downfall of my next fish. Then there all the idea's for improving my results, slow sink leger rigs fishing flat floats ,most of my ideas don't work but every now and again I surprise myself. My groundbait mix has taken over 5 years to perfect and I will adjust the ingredinents for different venues .I am totaly driven ,and do not switch off even when fishing I,m always thinking about trace lenth ,why did Imiss the last bite ect

Kevin Perkins

Reaction score
Great first article Simon

It's always interesting to read other anglers slant on the sport, and what makes it attractive to them.

Well done, and hope to see some more pieces from you.

Reaction score
Great article Simon. A really enjoyable read mate.

Fair play to DB (Steve), tackling a river for the first time can be a daunting prospect.

Any sign of that elusive 2lber yet?

Skoda

Reaction score
Well done Simon. A great read, I think we all fish for the same basic reasons but very difficult to put into words, and impossible to quantify.

Kepp 'em coming.

Andy

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Nice work Simon, a very good read.

The quality skills I saw you exhibiting down on a tough Dorset Stour could not possibly have come via Steve's tuition /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

Oh! and by the way, thanks for the loan of the rod for a few minutes!/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif
IMG_2606_0.JPG

IMG_2608.JPG

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Great stuff Simon (Muffin....Gollum) /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

I really enjoyed that mate, I wish I could write like that.

It's a funny old game mate. I've really enjoyed our little "natters" on the bank, we go through stuff trying to work it out and work the swims out (Lacock was a result!). And we've put things into perspective. It's funny how "we" are the same when it comes to fishing, competition is a natural thing, but it's not between ourselves, it's between US, the RIVER and the FISH.

I've come to the conclusion it's what you want from it that matters....

If you are happy and enjoying it, then that's what it's all about.....

The rest will fall into place.....

See you on June 16th, tench??? /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

Muffin

Reaction score
Thanks all for your kind words!<blockquote class=quoteheader>PoshPaul (ACA/ANGLING TRUST) wrote (see</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

"I'll enjoy the nothingness instead." - I'm not sure there is nothingness but something completely different occupies your consciousness - a something which eradicates or places in perspective other more transient and mundane concerns.</blockquote>

Poshers, brilliantly summed up thats the 'nothingness' I find too! Could not have put it better.

Look forward to learning more through the help of everyone on fishing magic (hopeully seeing some of you at Clattercote)and writing another article soon.

Simon

PS, Steve cant wait to get after those tench!