carbon or grafit

A

Antony Dimitrov

Hi,
I want to ask you what is difference between carbon and grafit.Why for some rod people said it's carbon rod and for other it's grafit rod.In what consist this difference?

R

Richard Drayson

There may be some technical differences between the two but as far as fishing rods are concerned I believe carbon and graphite are one and the same thing.
The term graphite being used mostly in the US to describe carbon fibre rods.

D

David Will

Carbon is found free in nature in three allotropic forms: amorphous, graphite, and diamond. Graphite is a stable form of carbon. It is a polymorph of Carbon as is diamond.Diamond is the hardest known naturally occuring mineral known to us , graphite is one of the softest. It lends itself to sheeting which in turn enables it to be used as the bulk material of a fishing rod. So by saying 'it is a carbon fishing rod' might be as accurate as saying 'I am filling my car with crude oil'.
Now where's me anorak

P

Phil Hatton

David,I win the anorak of the month mate,you forgot about 'buckyballs' the fourth naturally occuring form of carbon

D

David Will

LOL They were on the myths and legends list when I was studying but I see they do exist !.What size anorak are you. :)

R

Robert Draper

Doh! don't mention B-Balls, I was studying n-spatial geodesics when those buggers hit the headlines - change of syllabus overnight!

Seriously though, David - you said that the graphite is used as the bulk material does the strength actually come from the resins that the graphite is contained in? I always thought the fibre itself was the key ingredient but then I'm a mathematician not a wet-scientist.

D

David Will

Robert , God knows but resins or rather the types used are supposed to be very important.Q rod makers amongst us.

M

michael brown

I'm no rod maker,but deal in resins & fabrics(carbon,glass,kevlar)-what I do know is that the resins used(epoxies)although strong,have little tensile strength used alone,but good compression.Carbon(& glass) fabrics on the other hand have very high tensile strength and poor compression.Not much use on their own,but put them together and you have extremely strong composites.I believe modern carbon fibre rods use "pre-preg"carbon tapes,which are carefully wound on and put in an oven,(probably pressurised)to cure the impregnated resin.Simple...not! Now where's my designer carbon/kevlar hybrid anorak?