Pole fishing advice

William Pastuszka

Reaction score
For the last few seasons whilst fishing onmy local canal i have been suffering from chronic backache when using my pole which is 13mtrs & not really heavy, would buying one of those seat boxes with the back rests help? any ideas?

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Probably not William, but start off by seeing if you are quite level on your currentset-up.

Try to make sure that you keep your back straight and not crouch over the pole as crouching is a guaranteed back ache.

How do you hold the pole? Across your thigh or in your hands all the time?

So many different reasons to look into first, but personally I'd never bother witha backrest of a seat box.

William Pastuszka

Reaction score
I hold the pole across my thigh almost all of the time to help keep the balance which i find easier when shipping in & out.

I sometimes have to sit near the edge of my seat box to sit up straight & have always made sure the legs on the box are level so hence the thought about back rests to be able to sit in a comfortable straight position?

Being 5ft 9ins i find it hard to be able to sit straight whilst using the pole but get on better with itbroke down to 11mtrs should i be looking at a better position to place the pole in ie. up & under rests that will be clamped to legs of my seat box to take the pressure away from myself holding the pole all of the time?

Reaction score
I used to get terrible back ache and sciaticawhen pole fishing.

I now fish rod and line and use a chair and don't get the pain anymore.

I know it seems a big change if you're really into pole fishing, but it's worth thinking about William.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
William,

You might take a look at using something like this:

E-bay Item number: 170315121093

I am not much taller than you and can happily sit upright pole fishing for long periods, and I usually have the pole resting on my right thigh clamped down with my left elbow. That said, you have to make sure that your footplate is absolutely level, and really just practice like that.

Beecy

Reaction score
i suffer from a dodgy back, since having a damaged disc years ago that was removed but ive still suffered a bit ever since.

I find the best way for me to hold the pole is with it tucked into my crotch with my elbows resting on my thighs, that way your back dosnt take any of the strain, all the strain is going down your arms

even without back problems, this would be my prefered way of holding a pole anyway, especialy in a tricky wind.

Also worth getting a spray bar, makes regular loose feeding easier than mastering using a catty without putting the pole in rests

Reaction score
William

Have a similar issue - I'm 6ft 2" and find that I need to adjust my seatbox extremely precisely in order to get back straight and knees at 90' etc. I'm told its not overall height but leg length that is the defining factor. Getting the pivot right at hip and knee to ensure 90' angles in each case!

Even them I find the need to occasionally get up + walk around and do a few back stretches etc. (Some this is down to an old prolapsed disc and playing rugby!!!!). I think reviewing your pole box may well help - but shop around for one that you can alter precisely to your needs.

Like Matt, I have a chair which I can alter in height but even then after a long day can get a deal of discomfort.

Some of the most comfortable fishing I have is when chasing chub and barbel on the Dane...sitting on an unhooking mat and leaning against the bank/tree - I suspect the comfort is also aided by regular movement as I switch swims.

Good luck

Paul

trev (100M bronze)

Reaction score
This is absolutely nothing to do with posture or stance but I used to get backache until a friend advised me to make sure my lower back area was well covered up with warm clothing.

If im fishing a pole for any length of time (ie in a match for 5 hrs) quite rare for me nowadays I always wrap a scarf around my waist for extra warmth and I dont suffer half as much as I used to.

William Pastuszka

Reaction score
Cheers guys,i am defiantly looking at back support.

Sorry that i forgot to mention my problem is in the lower back area.

Regards,

William

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
Hi there William,

Do you have a Bump bar on your seatbox?

If not purchase one, it takes all the weight of the pole while fishing and you can rest it between your thighs while the butt section of the pole sits on top of your seat box.

Another great idea if you prefer to rest the pole on your thigh is the Mark 2 clever claw, what a great and simple device and only costs around £20.00p well worth every penny. I use either a bump bar or the clever claw, i have also used them both together, put the butt section of the pole in to the clever claw and rest the rest of the pole on the bump bar, hands free fishing until you need to ship the pole in or you get abite.

Anyway, i hope this helps a little.

Tight Lines /forum/smilies/devil_smiley.gif