eBay ? The Evil Auction Site?

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Jeff,

Really good information.

The only problem I have with e-Bay is when you see these 'Bidder 4' people who apparaetly only bid on one Seller's Items. To me a lot of this is simply to jack-up the price.

There is a 'Report the Bidder' feature where e-Bay will check to see if 'shilling' has been going on.

In fact, I reported one today for just that.

So, in addition to Jeff's good advice, always check who you are bidding against and act accordingly.

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
A lot of tackle dealers sell stuff on ebay, i have bought a lot of items for fishing off of ebay and it has all been as discribed and what i expected it to be whether it was a used item or a new item. I have noticed items with no reserve before and with no one having placed a bid on the item, the item is started off at 99p and say postage is £5, i have clicked on the item, bid £5 and instantly as i confirm the bid it say you have been outbid. How the hell can i have been outbid when no one has bid on it, the item start price is 99p and there's no reserve on the item?

Anyway, that's how tackle dealers fleece customers in to bidding higher, why don't they just put the starting price they want and get on with it, time wasting gits. (Rant over)

Like i said there are some good bargains to be had out there on Ebay, you just have to do your homework first, what price are they in the shops etc and don't forget to take postage in to the price you want to pay.

I've seen second hand fishing tackle on e bay selling for more than what the cost of the exact same item is to buy new (Barmy) Shakes head.

Tight Lines /forum/smilies/devil_smiley.gif

preston96

Reaction score
I have had some great bargains,but for the life of me i can't understand some folk.....why buy something of Ebay for £100,when the new price complete with some warranty is £110??

Like Stealth i have seen fishing gear go for more on Ebay than i can buy it local!!.

Comically tho......when a bit of class gear came up i had a funny feeling i was bidding with another FM'er......a PM proved me correct, he won.............................tw?t/forum/smilies/crying_smiley.gif

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
Is that a Genie in a Kettle?

If it is, you can be damn sure that i ain't rubbing it .... Nooooo Wayyyyyy

preston96

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>ANDY SKI wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>make sure you are dressed properly when taking pictures of the item you intend to sell

see here</blockquote>
Hahahahaah

F

Fred Bonney

Did anybody else notice,it's the same bloke in all the pictures?

peter waller 2

Reaction score
Tackle dealers that bid against themselves, and its blatantly obvious which ones, should be named and shamed. Lap-top bids against p.c., simple really.

C

Cakey

and then they will get their mates to do it .................................

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Stealth viper asks why it says he is outbid when the current price is less than the price he bid. The simple fact is when you bid, you bid "up to," it shows the minimum bid not the maximum bid. If you have bid £10 on an article that is showing as £4 it will then show as £4.50 so anyone bidding £5 won't be enough, simple really.

Personally I think ebay is absolutely brilliant and providing you only ever bid to the maximum that you think the item is worth you will never get done. Some people keep bidding just to secure the item and sometimes finish up paying more than the item is worth, if its at £15+p&p and you know you can buy it in the shop at£15 then that is what you do and save yourself the extra cost, simple economics really. Jeff rightly emphasises the need to pay particular attention to the p&p which is usually more than the actual cost but providing you always take this into account there isn't a problem.

When I bought my sony ericcson k800not long after they were introducedthey were retailing at over £300 but I paid only £158 including p&p and it is still as good as new, just one example of the many bargains to be had if you are patient.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
One of the tricks sellers use is to get their friends and relatives to put in bogus bids just to get the price up to what they want to sell it at, not that I would ever do such a thing, ahem! /forum/smilies/embarassed_smiley.gif

C

Cakey

I sold a sky hd box that wasnt working for 75 quid a couple of weeks ago .................they were on the tv ads for weeks for 49 quid

Neneman Nick

Reaction score
Good article Jeff with some good advice.

Myself and the other half have been buying and selling on e-bay for a few years now and have only encountered two problems,which were easily sorted.

I have sold lots of my unusedfishing tackle,new and old plus stuff i have brought at car boots or from friends.I/we have always been honest and upfront because we want good feed back and we want to build a good and honest reputation.

In the last paragraph i mentioned car boots,ok some might say isn`t that a bit dodgy....stolen goods etc.... If i come across second hand tackle and i think i can sell it on etc..... i try and engage the seller in some fishing type banter about the said item(s).I like to think i can get a general feel for the sellers knowledge of the product and their honesty and integrity etc.... If i get the feeling that something is wrong and dodgy,then i walk away.....simple as !!!

There are sellers on e-bay that get folk to bid for them,to push the price up etc..... it`s called ghost bidding and i`ve encountered it in the past.It`s bloody enfuriating but just set yourselves a price limit and stick to it and don`t buy from the seller in question.

If i can reccomend something for helping to find those E-Baybargains,try a website called Fat fingers.It searches for things that have been misspelt in the items title by the seller.It has saved me plenty of money in the past because sellers haven`t spelt the goods title correctly.Also there is a a bidding thingy that will nip in with a higher bid,to win an auction at the very last second.I personally don`t like it but if your`e really desperate for a certain must have item,then it`s worth looking into.

Happy bidding.

Neneman Nick

Reaction score
Forgot to mention......go onto e-bay and search for a seller called jackie_-sol

Thats my Mrs /forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif. You can take a look at her e-bay feedback profile,see what we have sold reccently,see what folk have said about the items and get a general feel for selling things.

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
Stealth viper asks why it says he is outbid when the current price is less than the price he bid. The simple fact is when you bid, you bid "up to," it shows the minimum bid not the maximum bid.

Graham, i know how ebay works, as i wrote in my article the starting price was 99p and that there had been no bids on the item when i placed my higher bid, therefore, there could not have been a higher bid.

I do use Ebay a lot and have used it to get items i wanted for a price i was willing to pay. I have also used it to sell a lot of items and i have always tried to be as honest as possible, as i expect to be treated as i treat people themselves. I was merely pointing out that there are some strange goings on with some of the retailers on ebay and ebay seem to be unable to control it.

W

Wolfman Woody

<blockquote class=quoteheader>Cakey wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>I sold a sky hd box that wasnt working for 75 quid a couple of weeks ago .................they were on the tv ads for weeks for 49 quid</blockquote>

That's nothing!

I sold a crappy little maggot feeder to some mug for over £34 and they only cost 99p in the shops. I spun him some yarn about it once belonging to Granville Murzdin and that he'd blessed it. The fool bought it!

/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

NB: all the proceeds went to the ACA.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On a serious note - ♪

I bought a couple of lures from a guy, it said he was in Altricham. When the first arrived it came from the USA, but the P&P was fair. The second one never did arrive, but fair play to the guy, they sent another one exactly the same and that did arrive.

In all honesty, I hardly visit a tackle shop these days. Well, they don't stock many lures anyway and as for lure rods and baitcaster reels, forget it.

F

Fred Bonney

If you are not able to be at your computer and want to put in a late bid use this

http://www.auctionsniper.com/

If you think it's a good ideaPM me your details, i'll put them in and get Ifree snipes.

I use it to put in my maximum bid, then go away and forget it.