Pressured and un pressured ?

Reaction score
I know people ask about what tactics and baits to use on pressured waters but what about waters that have almost never been fished ?

D

Dave Slater

I would agree. Try maggots first to see what is there, and lobworms if too many small fish come to maggots. Once you have a rough idea on what is there you could bait up accordingly but I would suggest baiting up with something fairly simple as there is no need to complicate things if it is not necessary,

Fin the Fish

Reaction score
Excellent advice from Dave there, not many freshwater species of fish wont fall to either maggots or lobbies so theyre brilliant for finding out what there is in a water. I would try using two rods, one on the humble maggot and one with a whole lobworm legered on a size 6 (chopped lob makes very good loosefeed) as this tends to sort out the better fish.

If the water youre trying doesnt get fished much but does get visited by the public sometimes (dog walkers etc) then bread can be an extremely effective bait, as lots of people throw bread out to feed the ducks so fish will become accustomed to eating it and will feel safe doing so.

Ad for preds try a medium-light lure outfit so you can try a whole range of lures from tiny-shiny spinners to decent plugs and spoons to see what kind of toothy monsters lurk the depths.

More importantly than anything though is patience and keeping your eyes open. Unknown and unfished waters are unlikely to yield good catches instantly, but they may well hold some incredible fish that noone wouldve guessed at until of course you catch them! So be prepared to blank before you bank! Stay on the lookout for any signs of fish, take a break from fishing your spot and walk round the lake (or upstream/downstream) with polaroids on and look for trembling reeds, plumes of clouded water or just murkier water in general, surfacing fish etc etc. Also climbing a tree is more fun and more help than youd think!

Hope this helps