Organisation

E

EC

This week I've been sorting bits out in the garage, and basically changing my kit over from winter/river species to spring/stillwater ones.

The last few months has been easy tackle wise, I've been mainly chub fishing onthe samesmall river, meaningminimal kit. I've had the odd session for perch which isn't totally different tackle wise so I've more or less been using the same gear for the previous few months.

Now with the spring upon us I'll be fishing 2 differentmeres for tinca's, sometimes on the float, sometimes on the lead/feeder with bobbins anddelks. I'll maybe have a go forrudd on one of the mere's also also on the float. I also anticipate fishing the canal for perch (using pole, float and leger)and maybe alsocarp fishing the same canal. There's always the possibility that I'll fishasmall stillwater for crucians on the float. It might seem a lot but they're all within 12 miles, and I usually get out 2 times a week (or more when BB starts).

The thing is deciding what to take and when. How to separate my gear? I like to be able to pick my gear up and go literally at a moments notice,and I don't want to take all the gear with me, all the time!

As a starter I am thinking a seperate small box for canal perch fishing but other than that I'm in 2 minds as to how to organise myself and my kit.

Does anyone have any organisational hints?

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
EC,

Like you and many others, I fish for different species at different times. I have now got my gear sorted into different boxes and bags.

Carp gear own bag and Tackle box, same for Pike, etc etc, I find it much better, the only bit of kit that gets moved around are my Delk's and Scales.

Unhooking Mat, landing net, Chair are always the same, will only change the landing net for Carp, Pike I hand in.

I also have one small box that has a mix of bits and bobs, which I will take along if I am having a day on a water and want to fish say a float in the morning, and Ledger in the afternoon.

Reaction score
I've started doing this - after taking stick from companions referring to kitchen sinks etc!!

Not quite at the stage of specific bags for specific trips (will have to wait for the Aldi bags to come round again and buy a couple more!!)...the problem

Often seem to get to the water and find a problem/challenge which will easily be solved by the bit of kit......I've left behind!! Still it is improvement...except.....

Can anybody remind me which box I put the braid scissors in!!

Posh

Mark Hewitt

Reaction score
I'm notorious for ariving at the bankside with somthing missing and having to find a nearby tackle shop before I start. This is uauslly because in the past I've tried to be organised and have different bags/boxes for different types of venue ect. And always end up leaving a vital piece of kit in the bag from the previous session..............

Emergancy purchaces in the last twelve months:

Landing net with handle (fly fishing type).

Centerpin reel.

Fishing chair.

Fishing boots.

Head torch (twice).

Bait.

So much for organised............/forum/smilies/thinking_smiley.gif

E

EC

Ray, I'm erring towards that, and am looking at something half way towards what you say,god knows I've accumulated enough rucksacks, bags and tackle boxes over the years, the problem is as Posh suggests, leaving things behind.

Mark Hewitt

Reaction score
I've also purchased a new flask on the day (having left mine on the side at home), and filled it (at huge expense) with coffee from a petrol station vending machine...../forum/smilies/embarassed_smiley.gif

Xplorer1

Reaction score
I have one rucksack which I use for all my trips (except real minimal river work where I just have a bumbag, net, bucket and bankstick) which has permits, weigh net, scales, digital camera and the like in it permanently. I have two "basic boxes" which contain all the bits and bobs, one each for regular coarse and pike. Floats I keep in separate boxes (wagglers, still water blues, sticks/avons, chubbers/loafers, etc). Lures ditto.

I've reached the age where I cannot remember to pack everything (I even forgot a reel handle once and had to go back home for it), so I have a checklist that I sit down and fill out on my PC for each trip, then print and take into the garage and pack or put out everything on it, and load the car up. Afterwards, I add notes to the checklist about weather, catch, swims etc.

If anyone would like a copy of the checklist, PM me.

E

EC

Neil I have a laminated sheet in my car to remind me, the only thing is I need another sheet to remind me to check it.

I have lots of bits in my pockets in my bib and brace, such as camera, licences, scales and headlamp, suffice to say the b n b is always with me.

Xplorer1

Reaction score
Ha! I know the feeling, Eddie. I:

forget TO write it down

forget WHERE I wrote it down

forget THAT I wrote it down

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
I don't take the kitchen sink any more.

The night before I go I check the bag to make sure I have all the bits i need for the coming session. I also have all my rod's set up ready to go.

Reaction score
I have three tackle boxes , pike , carp and course but it`s not as simple as it sounds, there are bits of kit that you need for all three and unless I buy say three sets of forceps and three sets of scissers ect , ect , which will work out dear , so I am forever taking bits out of this box , putting into another , checking and rechecking and still forgetting bits .

Plus I tend to take more than I need , just in case , bait is the main thing , shed loads ,most don`t get used , carp and pike rods are allready made up but quiver or float I make up on the bank.

But it still takes me a hour to get sorted out on the bank ./forum/smilies/embarassed_smiley.gif

R

Robert Woods

Eddie,

As you know I've more tackle than Stapeley & Dave's put together.../forum/smilies/embarassed_smiley.gif. There is some bits that you will always need like scales, sling, catty + spares, food & drink. Try and look at these "must have "items first. Then I would get some identical tackle boxes, I use small B&Q ones and this is where you have to be cruel to yourself.../forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif. You can actually fish with little gear. Then you tip out what you have decided to take...now you can cut down even further.

Bob.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Pffft!

You think you've got it tough Eddie!

I have to think for two! I'm on the pole, Wends on the wag, plus the two rods that go on the climbers, plus the bait and tackle!

Nightmare!

Not as bad as that Hewitt bloke though! Come on Mark, how much did it cost to fill yer flask?

Mark Hewitt

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Steve Spiller wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

Come on Mark, how much did it cost to fill yer flask?</blockquote>

Nothing compared to the center pin...............

Ask Nigel Conner. /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

Specihunter

Reaction score
corky is the best when it comes to tackle the amount of stuff he took to the ribble was loads took allday to unload then load .The magic loaf ask mark.

Morespiders

Reaction score
Yes true ,but some fool said he would row me around all day and carry my tackle, didnt think I would make it easy for you did you?.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
EC,

I am still in the process of doing exactly the same.

I have managed to 'free' a couple of large Fox boxes having just got hold of one of those Nash Rig Stations, so now that is packed with allI need for both Carp and Tench.

For my river boxes I am using the Fox boxes, one forRoach/Dace sessionsand the other for Chub and the occasional Barbel trip.

The main problem, if you don't want to 'do a Mark' is to duplicate things like scissors, tweezers, shot pliers etc., and have a set in each box.

I recently bought a Korum Rucksak, so the Fox boxes fit neatly into that, and you can hang a Korum chair off of it too.

For long sessions, a couple of nights at the lake, I do use a checklist for packing the car. It is a p.i.t.a. to get to a lake a couple of hours drive away only to find you have forgotten an essential piece of kit.

Regarding those who comment on how much kit I take with me, it is amazing that those same fellows are the ones who, after 10 minutes at the venue, come over to ask if you have a 'spare' catapult, sicssors, hooks, etc. Right Ron?

PS, you still have a pair of braid scissors of mine since 2001 you forgetfull old beggar!