Canal fishing

Mark Osborne 4

Reaction score
Hi all,

does anybody know of any good stretches of canal to fish on a day ticket in and around greater Manchester, somewhere preferable quiteand easy to reach.

Fishred03

E

EC

Warrington Anglers Association have lots of the bridgewater canal mate, but they don't do day tickets.

I think Wigan DAA have a fair bit of theLeeds and liverpoolcanal.

Reaction score
Where around Gtr Manc. do live Mark? - This will dictate advice. Was a useful piece in one of the fishing mags last year about quality of piking and other fishing in canals bang in centre of Manchester - mind you this was coupled with advice never to go alone and preferably in more than 2!

Macc. canal is worth a look

Mark Osborne 4

Reaction score
cheers EC but i don't really want to folk out fifty pounds for membership and fifty pounds to join just to fish a canal. ( fair play they do have a lot of other waters ) might have a look at the Leeds Liverpool canal if there is any stretch available to fish.

Mark Osborne 4

Reaction score
Cheers posh paul, i live in Old Trafford. I buy iycf ( improve your coarse fishing )magazine and a few months back had a article about fishing the canals in Manchester city centre, but I've also heard a few angling clubs own stretches and don't like people fishing them ( i wouldn't know if i was or was not fishing on a club owed water ). any suggestions as to fishing the Macclesfield canal as i often fish gawsworth .

fishred03

Reaction score
Think the stretch between Macclesfield and marple is relatively club free - below macc there are quite a few club stretches - look here

bread, maggot usual suspect - can be very shallow close in - fish boat channel - so this time of year it has to be early morning or evenings! Apparently Peak Forest and Macc Canals have highest density of boats of any UK canal!!! (useless fact).

Careful if using pole - plenty of canal side cyclists - most really polite but always a few who think the path is for them not walkers, anglers, boaters etc etc!

Macc canal is plagued by signal crayfish - just got to live with it!

Mark - if you live in Old Trafford why not the Bridgewater Canal? As far as I'm aware most of it is free fishing from Manchester to Broadheath -unless things have changed!

Mark Osborne 4

Reaction score
Hi posh Paul, once again thank you for your help, i have fish the canal near me at stretford ( near the arndale ). i also use to fish it here many years ago in my early teens ( was great then), but i fish it last year and allof the fish i caught was about 6 inches out. lol.

but it was much too noisey andif it wasntthe many boats going past it was people on the foot path. thought if i went somewhere quite i could relax more.

that way i wont be too disapointed if i dont catch......lol.

so i might try along the macc canal sometime soon. cheers Paul.

Fishred03