Replacement quivertip to JW spliced avon

David Gallagher 4

Reaction score
Hi everyone

My first posting after years of lurking and as usual its a cry for help. I've lost the last 3" of the quiver on my JW qiuvertip. I've seen the video where Uncle John replaces his by sawing behind the splicing whip with a junior hacksaw but does anyone know where I can get a replacement glass blank? It seems to have a sharper taper than most of the plug in quivers so I don't think I can just strip the rings off a plug in as the solid glass tipfairs into the tip of the blank on the rod.

As an aside I went into a (very) well known Christchurch tackleshop yesterday to see if they could help. As you will see from my spec. I aminto mysecond wind while the guy behind the counter was inhis twenties, so I obviously didn't know what Iwas talking about. I explained that there was a video on You Tube (How street cred is that!) showing how its done, and wastreatedlike a care in the community case. I said I would put a post on FM and am hoping that someone can give me a steer so that I can walk back in with the repaired top and show the cocky s*d that he was talking out of his sphincter.Will I be buying any major items of tackle from there in the future?

Paul B

Reaction score
I've replaced the tip on mine a few times, the last time i couldn't find a supplier of "donkey tops" so took a different approach which involves a bit of messing.<ul>[*]cut out the old tip from the rod blank- they're not glued in so cut flush to the end of theblank you're keeping and push out the piece of old quiver[*]take the rodblank to a dealer and try a push-in quiver in the end of the blank. Itwill only be a loose fit at this point. the one i bought was a browning push in tip as i can easily replace it (In fact i have a few different test curves to fit now as the ones off my greys prodigy are the same diameter!) you can always trim the rodblank tip back a bit if need be.[*]use some plastic metal or car bodywork filler and fill in the end of the blank for about an inch- guess work i'm afraid.(you may have a piece of wood dowel which will fit up the rod from the butt end to work against?)[*]coat end of quiver tip with wd40 so it doesn't stick to the filler and push into the filler in the blank. Leave to harden a bit and (hopefully/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif) remove tip then let filler harden fully[*]Iran a drill bit down the repair to clean any clag before inserting the new tip once the filler had gone off[*]whip along the end the rod blank and varnish to support the push-in tip and give a neat finish.[/list]

Sorry if it's a bit long winded. I hope this gives you an idea how to fix your rod. Once it's done, if you snap the tip in future a new one can be fitted easily. I can'tnotice a flat spot any worse than the original.

The push-in tips I have are 3.6mm for about an inch at the push-in bitand then increase in diameter slightly for a bit before tapering off to the end eye. I use a 2.5oz tip and find it similar to the original. You may be able to usea tipfrom another rod you have.

Keith M

Reaction score
When my quivertip broke on one of my JW Avon Quivers a while ago I received a repacement tip section from Masterline within a few days, I also repaired the broken tip using a donkey top bought from my local tackle shop in the same way as Paul did.

I now have two different strength quiver tips. I later bought another butt section to go with my repaired tip section so now havetwo JW quivertip rods /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif.

David Gallagher 4

Reaction score
Thanks for the response guys. Keith, I'll chase up a new tip, but Paulyour response and Keiths for repairing the top soundsa great idea as I have a broken Avon type tip on a spare rod that may respond to the same treatment. I had hoped there would be a replica top available somewhere but as I understand the rod is made in the Far East I expected sparesto be difficult. You always want to restore a rod to as original as possible (especially if it was your cack-handedness that broke it!) but this sounds amore flexiblealternative. Thanks again, I'll let you know how I get on but it sounds as I'll be eating crow next time I go shopping!