Freezer Boilies

jcs

Reaction score
Hi All
Just wonder how long would you keep your Freezer boilies in the freezer before changing for fresh.
Or will they last for years ,would love to hear your points of veiw on this one.

trev (100M bronze)

Reaction score
Theve probably been in the freezer in the tackle shop for a good 7 or 8 months already, who knows because is no date on them. As long as you dont defrost them and re freeze them too often they should last as long as you need them too. At the end of the day there only fish food, your not going to eat them yourself are you.

AVIT06

Reaction score
quote..At the end of the day there only fish food,

trev m8..at the end of the day you wouldnt eat food that has gone off or got mould on them, as you would be ill so whats sayin the fish wont be ill too.fish safety m8..always

F

Frothey

<blockquote class=quoteheader>AVIT06 wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

at the end of the day you wouldnt eat food that has gone off or got mould on them</blockquote>

we eat stilton dont we? a lot of fish saucesare rotting shrimps, meat tastes better when it's "hung" for a while. one of our most successfull antibiotics is a mould. would they sell as many "pro-biotic" yoghurts if they actually called it "slightly going off yoghurt"?

plus fish regularly eat their own crap!

we give fish the intelligence to be able to "sense" how good a boilie is for them, surely if thats the case they wont eat a "bad" bait will they?

trev (100M bronze)

Reaction score
My active 8 freezer boilies have a white residue on them if I take them out a day or two before use, and I find I get more bites on them than fresh out of the bag still defrosting ones.

If I was a fish and I was hungry I would eat whatever I could before the others did. Fish dont have well stocked shelves and sell by dates.

AVIT06

Reaction score
quote..we give fish the intelligence to be able to "sense" how good a boilie is for them, surely if thats the case they wont eat a "bad" bait will they?

so if i put poison in a boilie the fish have the intelligence not to eat them.hahahaa

just my veiw m8

i dont know if gone off bait is good or bad for fish,but i wouldnt use it.like i said its just my personal veiw

do you know for sure gone off bait doesnt halm fish..fish saftey !!!!! i dont so i dont use it

AVIT06

Reaction score
and trev wrote..At the end of the day there only fish food, your not going to eat them yourself are you.

it seems trev doesnt care if they are good or bad for the fish

AVIT06

Reaction score
quote..

If I was a fish and I was hungry I would eat whatever I could before the others did. Fish dont have well stocked shelves and sell by dates.

no they dont have well stocked shelves or sell by dates but they do have naturals to feed on.in my veiw the fish dont need anglers giving them bad food

jcs

Reaction score
Thanks for replie lads , so a few season in the freezer will be ok then.

Tight lines and Happy fishing./forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

trev (100M bronze)

Reaction score
Thats OK Avit 06 you fish with your baits and Ill fish with mine. As long as we catch fish, thats all that matters eh. /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

If you click on the blue speech marks you can quote the whole post and it will save you having to retype stuff all the time.

F

Frothey

<blockquote class=quoteheader>AVIT06 wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>i dont know if gone off bait is good or bad for fish,but i wouldnt use it.like i said its just my personal veiw

do you know for sure gone off bait doesnt halm fish..fish saftey !!!!! i dont so i dont use it</blockquote>how do you know a bait has gone off?

Reaction score
I have baits in the freezer that are 3 or 4 years old and when the time comes I will use them with confidence , Avit , you are giving the carp the same senseshas we have which are not the same at all , you may see the pitfalls of eating (maybe /maybe not ) a frozen food after a long time in a freezer but fish don`t have a stomach system as such , so it goes in and in a short space of time will come out with little harm done or they won`t feed on it in the first place .

AVIT06

Reaction score
quote..As long as we catch fish, thats all that matters eh.

sorry bud but no,the fish welfare is what matters

and i copy and paste,not retype

frothey go to school.you might learn something

like i said before if im not 100% sure im not harming the fish i wont use it.simple

AVIT06

Reaction score
quote..how many times do they eat tiger nuts ?

why are they banned from most fisheries ????

N

Nobby C (ACA)

If you're concerned with welfare don't stick a hook in them.

The fish in natural waters eat what they want when they want,be it naturals or boilies, they'll be absolutely fine. It's an error to suppose a fishes alimentary canal is like our own.

I think Frothey might know a thing or two, unfortunately his salient points have been lost on you Avit06.

jpluk1

Reaction score
iv been reading the treads on here and i never heard so much crap about giving fish gone off baits,avit your so write mate the welfare of the fish more important,and as far as sticking a hook in them if you know how to fish correctly,and you the correct gear you won't be harming the fish

F

Frothey

nobody has actually said it's ok to give fish "gone off" baits?

i asked how avit knew a bait had gone off.....

tigers are banned because they are so effective, and people don't know how to use them - they just dump kilo's and kilo's in and think they'll catch more than the person next to them. if they were inherrantly bad, why aren't tiger nut boilies banned?

two of the most effective boilies on the market wouldn't be half as good if they weren't "going off" when you use them.

what is the shelflife of a boilie? are we talking attractor bait? fishmeal? milk protein? if you buy some bait from a tackle shop how long would you keep it in your freezer? owners of bait companies have talked about using 2+yr old baits in articles before, or do they just not care about the fish they are fishing for.... articles talk about using 12+month old air dried baits - is that not ok? two things are needed for bacteria to work, moisture and heat - you only need to take away one of those things to slow the process (you'll never totally stop it)

jcs

Reaction score
Myself i would never use moldy or gone off baits.i was just trying to find out.

Just wonder how long would you keep your Freezer boilies in the freezer before changing for fresh.

I only take as many as i need for a session and never refreeze them ,so thats why i was wonder how long they would last.

F

Frothey

bluey green mould is one thing..... a white residue is another.....

as said, how do people decide whether a bait is "gone off" or not? if i take a bait that's been in a freezer for 5 years out, defrost it and put it next to a "fresh" one, how do you tell the difference?