Day Ticket River Fishing Christchurch

Gary Dolman

Reaction score
I hope some of you nice guys out there can help, we have recently taken over a new office in Christchurch, and I will have to do a couple of overnight stays once a fortnight to visit clients.

I have already sorted out golf locally, but most of my contacts are fly fishermen and have little knowledge of coarse fishing.

A pointer to any day ticket water or helpful tackle shops would be appreciated.

D

Dave Slater

Gary,

If you are down here once a fortnight I would suggest joining either Ringwood or Christchurch club. Rinwood may be best for you as they have Throop and The Royalty. They are not cheap but if it is a regular thing it would not work out any more than day tickets. Ring Rich or Ash at Ringwood Tackle (01425 475155) for info on day tickets or join one of the clubs on line.

You could always p.m. me when you are due for a visit if you fancy a session. I live in Ringwood and work in Christchurch.

Hope this helps.

A

alan whittington

Gary,Dave's definately rightabout the club options for day tickets are not cheap and will soon add up to a club ticket(and neither of these clubs come cheap,but the waters on offer are excellent)if you are in the area that regularly,one thing you didnt mention is what sort of fishing you prefer and your species preference,it may help a local like dave,all the best, Alan.

A

alan whittington

I would imagine that the Ringwood/Christchurch area are probably one of the most expensive day ticket coarse fishing sites in the country averagely,the point being though Peter if Gary is in the area onceevery 2 weeks at £12.50 a day it might pay to join the clubs for there is a lot of very nice water without the day ticket pressure within 20 miles,but that said if you were holidaying or looking for odd trips its worth every penny just for the history of the royalty and its well groomed banks,not forgetting the fish.

D

Dave Slater

I didn't realise the day tickets were that expensive. Definately join a club Gary. 10 to 12 sessions will cost the same as day tickets and you will have more and better waters to fish. Although both clubs have excellent stretches on both rivers I would suggest possibly joining Christchurch if you prefer the Avon or Rngwood if you prefer the Stour. Both clubs now do a rolling years membership so time of joining is no longer an issue.

If you are doing evening sessions definately join Ringwood and buy the night permit as you will have far more scope.

If you are not going to do as many as 10 sessions in total day tickets may be best, but personally I think Throop may be a better bet than The Royalty. There are also two free stretches on the Stour at Longham and Muscliffe, both of which produce big fish, but be careful where you park at Muscliffe as your car could get broken into.

Gary Dolman

Reaction score
Thanks very much guys, I will buy one of the club tickets, as I am more of a float man, and perhaps that elusive 2lb roach will come my way

D

Dave Slater

Good luck Gary. That 2lb roach may not be as elusive as you think down here. Both clubs have very good roach stretches on both rivers and I am a member of both. Once you have decided which club to join send me a PM and I may be able to point you to a few likely areas. You could also PM Mark Wintle as he knows far more about roach than I will ever do.

A

alan whittington

Dave, i don't know but when fishing on the Stour last august i was chatting toa localangler who had been attacked by a group of e.europeans and sustained a broken jaw, broken ribs and lost all his tackle on one of the free stretches (i believe Longham)so to Gary i would carefully consider your options,Alan

Gary Dolman

Reaction score
Thanks Alan & Dave, sounds like a perfect evening a 2lb roach and a visit to A&E, I shall just have to remember to pack my 3 iron with my fishing tackle, it doesn't get much use since I bought my rescue wood anyway.

D

Dave Slater

Gary,

Don't worry too much about aggro. I fish quite a lot and haven'e encountered anything like this, certainly not on the club stretches, and you say you will be joining one of the clubs. On the Stour my mate had his van broken into and damaged at Muscliffe free stretch but you can fish all of the opposite bank on the Ringwood book without fear of damage to your car. You can also fish below the Longham free stretch Alan mentions on the Christchurch book and this is certainly safe. I have caught 2lb roach and 7lb chub from both of these stretches so you should be fine there. There is generally not much of a problem with Eastern Europeans on the Avon but there were some from London fishing illegally on the Somerley Estate a few years ago who were dealt with.

A

alan whittington

Yes,i always found the c.a.c. waters safe Dave although distance and family commitments meant it became a little expensive for the little use that i would get so i had to drop my membership some while ago now,so day ticketsand occassional visits for me.I must admit to being a little shocked that eastern europeans had the gaul to poach Somerley,i would imagine they would have hunted them down(the army of bailiffs and possibly dogs),and i can imagine that they were dealt with,severely for when i was a member any unauthorised person was soon found and removed from the estate(a more beautiful place you could not imagine Gary),Dave i find your area and the descriptions you give most interesting,im very jealous for you live in the angling gods county and ive got to wait till August till i get down for a fish or three.Hope you get your 2 Gary,all the best Alan

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

...and dont forget the Harbour.Home of big mullet and a whole lot else!

David Gallagher 4

Reaction score
Gary,

Not much to add toDave Slater's post as he has forgottenmore about the Stour than I can remember, but Ihave fished the Muscliffe free stretch at night after work for years, esp. in the winterand tho' I'm a little 'un I've never had any trouble. May be luck or that my car is such a wreck its not worth breaking into. If I remember therewas an article a couple of years ago here (can't remember the guys name but I recall he was a serving police officer) regarding what is permissible by law, so maybe someone with a better memory could give a point.Fishing canbe sporadic and there are a lot of otters on the stretch, with two sets of cubs raised in the tangle opposite the entrance from the car park in the last two summers to my certain knowledge, but there are some good chub if you can find them. Can be good v. early in the season before the idiotsinvade the bank and trample all the cover down.There isn't muchfamily budget winter after work fishingon the Stour so it's worth a go if your money doesn't strech to a Ringwood night ticket. Most of the swims are self evident but the fish do move about so what is a banker one summermay beempty the next. Good luck and may see you next June.