The ultimate rig.

P

Phil Hatton

Here's one for all you experienced carpmen. If you had to choose one rig to cope with the maximum number of fishing situations,what would it be ?
Also,hooklengths;braid,mono or fluoro ?

C

Carp Angler

It would probably be a simple running rig, which I fish with on most occasions.

Hooklength would be mono, as you could fish it short, long, hinged, surface etc etc.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Same here, but with the addition of a silicon float stop up the line so I could make the rig running or semi-fixed.

C

Cakey

I would use a rig that I have caught 99% of my fish on ,super silk no knotted(not the normal one,the one I showed Rick)to a size 4 drennan boilie hook ,then I would use a Nashy safety clip for semi fixed and I would insert a bead between the clip and the swivel (Nashy makes one for the job)for a running rig.

K

Kevan Busby

It's got to be a 9 inch rig of Snakebite with 1/3 peeled back, knotless knotted to a size 8 Carp r us Nailer (crushed barb) tied to a Korda flexi-ring swivel. Fished with bottom baits, pop-ups boilies, particles, in the margin, middle distance or at range. It never tangles and has never let me down. Simple rig but devastatingly effective.

C

Carp Angler

Cakey and Kevan,

"one rig to cope with the maximum number of fishing situations" was the question.

I too would have chosen Snakebite/Skin until I thought about the surface aspect......

K

Kevan Busby

I sill stand by my Snakebite rig as this covers all my sub-surface fishing. You can zig-rig it to fish the surface, although I always use an 8 foot length of 8lb bs Berkley Trilene when I'm floater fishing.

C

Cakey

Rik aint short ,long etc more than one rig?
I picked one rig !

C

Carp Angler

on a running rig you just let it pop up to the surface.

I don't fancy a blatant HPPE braid on the surface.

P

Phil Hatton

An interesting range of rigs there chaps.I must confess though that up to now I'd have to go along with Graham( it must be the river angler in me,I like the flexibility).
To be honest I'm not familiar with the kind of rig kevan described,with a bit of luck someone can explain it to me at THE MATCH.Thanks for the response,keep em coming.

PS No squabbling please

G

Gary Knowles

Cakey, he stops squabbling when he's wrong - he does that with me all the time..

Why not tie the swivel to the lead with pva, that way you can fish for 20 minutes with a fixed lead before it becomes free running, best of both world - simple, eh !

C

Carp Angler

Cakey

with a fish approaching a surface bait from underneath then a braid would cast a very blatant shadow leading to the hookbait.

Barney
I started to squabble with you and you went and buggered off for some easy pussy (why did you leave Warrington, I thought there was loads of it there)

Any time any place Mr Ribble.

R

Rob Brownfield

I use Fireline for surface baits...in bright yellow :) Latest fish...20 pound 1 oz and 24 pound spot on. They took a floating mixer on 20 pound braid :)

Ok. ok...they were in the reeds at my feet and I was dangling the bait over the reeds from above :)

Most versitile rig has to be a running lead with mono hooklength.

C

Cakey

Rik
I use super silk on top all the time and my theory is they are use to all sorts of sh*t floating on top(carp can often be seen mouthing bits of rubbish hoping its food)and they are more likely to spook on some thing your trying to hide and see at the last second than my blatant braid.