Feeder Groundbait

lee goode 3

Reaction score
hi , i was wondering weather anybody could tell me what a good groundbait for pluging a cage feeder would be im fishing for carp thanx lee.

E

EC

Lee most of the shop bought groundbaits will work mate, especially if it is a hungry water, ie there are loads of fish! It could be worthwhile having a walk round and asking what other anglers are using.

However you could be a little bit cute andbuy a few ingredients and knock something of your own together. Stuff like vitalin, fishmeal, plain brown crumb, molasses, micro pellets, various forms of maize and also hemp can all be otained for far cheaper than the £3 or so that you're paying for branded g/bait. Although it might cost a bit more to begin with, after 5 sessions or so you'll have saved a decent sum of money.

However for branded groundbaits, Sonu groundbaits work well for carp, I have also used Van den eynde expo for carp too, and the explosive feeder (by VDE I think) was excellent.

Ben Haigh

Reaction score
i've found dynamtes swimstim green to be good all year round, but as the water warms up i start to use a mix of dynamite marine halibut and van den eynde explosive feeder, which seems to go down quite well.

i play around with other mixes for other species, and have caught nuisance carp over allsorts of groundbait blends intended for other species, so i'm sure you can get away with anything really, but i have great confidence in the first two blends i mention.

BapAndFuro

Reaction score
Some of my mates make their own groundbait using a blender. A lot of people say it's better to buy groundbait from a tackle shop but thier home made stuff always catches fish! I don't know the exact amounts of the ingredients but I know they use:

o Shredded toasted bread
o Spices and sauces
o Maggots
o Anything else you think would attract the fish!

Once it's made they mix it with water until it can be compact into the feeder without it coming out on the cast.

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
I've started padding out my groundbait with liquidised bread. I whizzed up a white loaf then left the crumb out to dry in the air. I mixed it about 50/50 with some Voodoo groundbait and added some corn and a handfull of micro halibut pellets. It worked a treat in a cage feeder and attracted a few bream for me.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Personally I always opt for an Explosive-type of feeder groundbait, either from Sensas or van den Eynde.

I am not too keen on using bread, or any other 'filler' as this tends to 'feed' rather than 'attract' - if you think about it, any groundbait with a high feed content is minimising your chance of a fish taking your hookbait . . . . .

This is where a lot of Continental groundbait mixes have scored in the past, and still do, by using attractants rather than feed contents.

Each to their own though in the final analysis, I'm not saying that bread mixes won't catch, but my preference is to leave the bread out.

Paul H

Reaction score
Interesting, and it has reminded me of a question I've often thought but never got round to asking.

The quantity of groundbait stuffed in a feeder is (give or take a gram) the same mass each time,so how can one be less food than the other?

Paul H

Reaction score
But just because something isn't nutritious doesn't mean it's not filling.

I could eat 5 bags of Monster Munch and probably feel quite full. I might not feel very well if I lived on them but I could feel full.

This is what I dont get, a feeder full of bread crumbs and a feeder full of pure groundbait will leave the same sized pile of edible particles taking up the same space in the fish's stomach.

Reaction score
Paul,

Some groundbaits can lie on the bottom, be hoovered up and the water/rubbish filitered out in the fish's mouth, leaving food to be swallowed.

I generally prefer a mix that beaks down to such an extent that it becomes part of the bottom of the lake and cannot, therefore, be filtered out. Hence, it has no food value.

From a fish point of view, it smells like food, it tastes like food but there isn't anything there to actually swallow, the only food in the area is the hookbait (even when it is actually plastic!).

Hopefully, this situation will trigger an aggressive and frustrating feeding response and will lower the fish's guard into making a mistake.

Steve Plant

Reaction score
Suppose you could liken that to us going into a nice restaurant....loads of lovely smells coming from the kitchen but with no food on the table we still can't eat anything...

but it gets the taste buds going & when the meal finally arrives, you're more up for it 'cos you're hungry & soon polish off the plate....

probably nowt to do with fishing but it works in my mind /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif