float fishing

dave gibson

Reaction score
hi all could anyone please tell me the best way to shot a 2AA waggler. I also need advice on how to shot a puddle chucker. The markings on the puddle chucker are No 18 4g + 4 No 4 i will be using these on still water i would be grateful for any help thanks.

Keith M

Reaction score
The depth of the water and depth you want to fish at, the wind strength, whether or not you want the float to stay still in a wind, the distance you are fishing at, and the type of water you are fishing and even the type of fish you are after,could allmean slightly different shotting patterns but generally when fishing a waggler on a still water put approx 75% of your shotat thebase of the float and starting at mid depth put much smaller shot at gradually smallerintervalsfurther down towards the hook, howeverfor more detailed decriptionsI would suggestreading the articles on float fishing written by Mark Wintle and Graham Marsden and other articles about float fishing on this site (fishingMagic).

I would also suggest you buy a good book on float fishing, there are several good books on this subject old and new. I have a couple of older books (Float fishing by Billy Lane and Float fishing by Ivan Marks) but there are equally good books written by Graham Marsden and others.

dave gibson

Reaction score
thanks i will now have a look at the article on (fishing magic)the water i fish at is about 18" to 2ft in the margins were i know that carp feed.

Ben Haigh

Reaction score
hi dave, the puddle chucker you have bought is a loaded one, meaning the only weight you need to add is the 4 no4's. the 4g is already on the float.

after you have read the articles on shotting floats, you can use this information to shot the puddle chucker in exactly the same way as any other waggler. word of warning though, the clip system on these floats works well at first, but with sustained use, they tend to start to slide, so i always use locking shot with them as well.

chub angler

Reaction score
if your fishing in 2ft of water in the margins use the lightest float you can to minimise disturbance from the float hitting the water above the feeding carp Dave.