Feeder Reels

BapAndFuro

Reaction score
I have a feeder rod and I'm looking for a new feeder reel. I fish on commercial fisheries with open ended feeders.

Does anyone know of a good reel for feeder fishing that costs under ?50?

E

EC

I have bought a couple of abu reels over the last few years, they are superb value andwell worth a look in my opinion.

LongMan

Reaction score
Shimano Exage RB

Shimano Exage 4000 RA

I have both and can't fault them, fighting drag system can be used like a manually operated baitrunner, smooth drags, light weight compared to baitrunner, 2 spools, enough line capacity for plenty of 10lb or 12lb if you fancy a bit of specimen carp fishing.

Like I say, can't fault them. I use mine for everything from Chubbing with 5 or 6lb line to method feeder fishing with 8 or 10lb and even bolt rigging for Tench and Carp, using the fighting drag as a baitrunner.

Scott.

chub angler

Reaction score
Bap I would look at The Okuma Reels or the shimano reels Scott has suggested.

ChrisMannering

Reaction score
I have a shakespeare Mach 3 (4000 size) reel for this purpose and it has served me well over the last 6months. I have had carp to 16lb on it but also skimmers, roach and tench. It has a nice smooth retrieve and excellent line clip. Big bonus is it comes with 4 spools so you can be ready to change line instantly thanks to the quick release spool (i have the rear drag version, but you can also get front drag if you prefer). Should be around for under £50 definately worth a look.

E

EC

Good call on the shaky Chris, I dithered about buying a shaky machII for a quiver rod I own but ended up going with another abu.

Bap, if you can get into a decent tackle shop they should have lots of variety. My local has abu and okuma's in your price range (both with a baitrunner facility) and the shimano's as the other lads have suggested are also well worth a look even though they don't havea bait runner.

BapAndFuro

Reaction score
If I want to feeder fish or later use a bite alarm do I need to buy a baitrunner reel?

I like the look of the shimano reels and I've heard the company is very reliable. I will have a look in my local tackle shop as well. If you can think of any other reels please tell me. =D

LongMan

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>BapAndFuro wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>If I want to feeder fish or later use a bite alarm do I need to buy a baitrunner reel? I like the look of the shimano reels and I've heard the company is very reliable. I will have a look in my local tackle shop as well. If you can think of any other reels please tell me. =D</blockquote>

Bap you certainly would NOT need a baitrunner, as i said the fighting drag system on the Shimano's is excellent, as I said I use mine for everything from light Chub fishing to boltrigging for Tench and Carp.

Baitrunners are nice, but IMHO totally unecessary, much much heavier too.

The fighting drag is like an instantly adjustable drag without all the faff of the baitrunner.

The transition from run to fight is smoother too, because you are slowly increasing the drag and not banging over from run to fight as you have to with a baitrunner. Just my humble experience, but it works for me.

Scott.

REVIEW ANOTHER REVIEW AND ANOTHER

E

EC

If you're using a rodtip/quivertip for bite indication, no problem, just strike when the tip goes round, I wouldn't use a baitrunner for that job.

If you're using a bite alarm and possiblynot watching the tipand a decent fish picks up your bait, self hooks itself, then runs,with a baitrunner facility on and engagedyou won't lose your rod and reel if you're temporarily distracted. If you don't have a baitrunner there's a chance you could lose the gear if your anti reverse was on.

If it were me, andI wanted a reel to do both the quiver job and bite alarm job, I'd get a baitrunner. If I was only quivertipping, I'd swerve the baitrunner.

There are Okuma's (I think) that have a lifetime guarantee and are still reasonably small and lightweight. Although I personally wouldn't worry to much about weightas the rod and reel spend most of the time in the rest anyway. So long as the reel feels reasonably balanced with your rod when you actually get hold of itis the most important thing!

Let us know what you choose and don't forget to fill in a review of the tackle you've bought after you've given it some use.

LongMan

Reaction score
EC I know what you are saying, but if you have ever used the fighting drag system you would understand what I am saying, with the lever to the left it is as free spool as you would need (no rod dragging in), lever in the middle or further right and the drag is engaged, SOOOO much more simple and less hassle that a baitrunner it is incredible, the Carp boys are tackle tarts and if they can get away with another gizmo they will. Its just as easy to forget to disengage a baitrunner lever as it is to disengage the fighting drag, believe me.

Baitrunners are a total non neccesity if you have the fighting drag system on the rear drag Shimanos or the instadrag on the front drag models.

Shimano's worst kept secret

Scott.

L

Laurie Harper

Agree with recommendations above. Some shops are doing the "old model" Exages at bargain prices now a new one has been introduced. I've got two and they're excellent. Have a look on the 'net - I've seen them for under £30. Bargain.

BapAndFuro

Reaction score
Thanks for the links to the reviews! I have read them and I will probably buy one of these.

To use a reel without baitrunner on a bite alarm do you slacken the clutch while it's on the alarm, then when you get a bite strike and tighten the clutch as you do so?

Roach Fanatic

Reaction score
Daiwa Regal's in 3500s size are excellent, they can be used for general feederfishing and are the size of a normal reel you would use and have an excellent line lay. However they really come into their own when fishing bolt-rig feeder tactics for Roach, and I am confident they can fish for Bream, Tench, Barbel and Carp upto 25lbs. Well worth the money and well worth a look

LongMan

Reaction score
Yep, as you are picking up the rod, you slowly tighten the clutch to a point were you feel it can still give a bit but it isn't free running if you understand.

I am constantly altering the drag/clutch when playing a large fish, so using the drag (Shimano fighting drag) makes more sence to me than baitrunners.Scott.

LongMan

Reaction score
Sure is. What he fails to show is, if you have the rear drag completely to the left (less tension) and the fighting drag completely to the left (less tension) you are now in free spool.

When you get a run you then just use the fighting drag lever to control the drag, with lines up to around 8lbs it isn't neccesary to use the actual rear drag, just the fighting lever.

Little difficult to explain, try one at the tackle shop, or even just get one, I assure 100% you will not be dissapointed.

Scott.

LongMan

Reaction score
RB is the newer version, RA is the older and better in my opinion,

RB comes with double handle, RA doesn't, although I prefer a double and ordered one seperately.

Look in the specs on various sites and the difference's should become clear, and as I said I prefer the older model which is cheaper too.