First time in years(literally)

Andrew Huxtable

Reaction score
Hello everyone, thought i`d give wee description of my first days fishing in years. Twas easter monday on loch glow, 7 pound ticket, supossedly stocked with rainbows.

So first of all tried bait(powerbait maggots) off the bottom, changed to float with same said bait, changed again to spinning all within a hour and a half, kept on spinning for the rest of the day and blanked!

Not really bothered about the blank as the loch was very busy according to my mate who has fished it quite alot, and we only saw 6 fish caught.5 by one bloke and his young son, on the fly. Well it was a sunny but windy day and i ended up gettin sunburnt. I think thats the fist time i have ever been burnt on easter weekend.

So all in all very good to get out, i`ve definately lost some instinct, well a lot to be honest, but 7 pound well spent and i wouldve stayed for dusk but had prior plans.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Andrew, shame about the blank but a good day nonetheless by the spounds of it.Better luck next time and hopefully you will not leave it so long this time.

Andrew Huxtable

Reaction score
Cheers nige, yeah been a while, and really hope to get out much more, i`ve been looking at maybe getting a membership for the river almond which is just outside ofedinburgh. Its a smallish river, but i think it would be good to learn how to fly fish on. And its only 30 quid for the season and they very much practice catch and release which i`m fond off. Also they have small numbers of salmon and some sea trout

Stephan

Reaction score
There seems to be a few of us taking it up again,I`ve still to take the plunge as the garden and hobby business take most of my time and energy right now.

I`m looking forward with a mix of pleasure and trepidation because I know I will look a bit ham fisted for the first few sessions until my confidence(and getting used to varifocals) get a bit better

T

Trev 2

Andrew,the Almond flows past the back of where I work and I occasionally take a wander along part of it to pass the oddlunchtime away,it look to hold quite a good head of small (and a few not-so small) brownies, and as you say there is always the chance of sea trout or salmon.

Does the tame crow still hang around the bailiffs hut at Glow, it used to be quite a "tourist attraction" with local anglers

Andrew Huxtable

Reaction score
Hey trev, no their were no signs of a tame crow, i asked my pal who has fished it quote a lot recently and he hasnt seen it ether, how long ago was this?

The almond looks like a cracking wee river, their site has loads of info, its just me getting my lardy arse up and getting it done.

T

Trev 2

Andrew, it must have been about five years ago, before I took up flyfishing. I went up there with SWMBO, who flyfished at the time, she fished for about an hour and took two, before going back to her knitting, I fished maggot, worm and p/bait for five hours and got nowt......bl**dy pheromones...

Trev