Farnham AS club waters

Andy Wilcock

Reaction score
Hi Guys

I've got a late pass from the wife and have managed to get two nights away this week to wet a line! I was wondering if anyone had fished any of the farnham club waters lately and had any info on how there fishing? Thanks in advance

Andy

Andy Wilcock

Reaction score
Sorry Ian, should have said??? Im after the carp. But the way i've fished lately i'll be grateful of anything!

Ian Gemson

Reaction score
Hi Andy

Tarn is fishing well as is Bagshot lea big pond. The other venue worth a look at is Still water back lake.

Try small baits 10mm or single fake corn with small walnut size PVA bags. Fish with as light a lead as you can to reach the range you need and cast to showing fish.

Tight Lines Andy

Andy Wilcock

Reaction score
Thanks for that mate. Is tarn open now then? I thought it still kept the old close season?

Ian Gemson

Reaction score
Hi Andy

Yes you are right sorry I am having a bald moment LOL.

All the lakes see a lot of angling traffic so they are well pressurised if you know what I mean. Also everyone on the lakes use bait boats for every bait placement so the fish can be very very difficult to catch as they feel no where is safe.

There has been some recent restocking of carp in various lakes but the committe is match focused although the membership who match fish is less than 5 % of the total club so what you will find most of the restocking budget goes on Bream Roach and Barbe so the match boys can catch a few when they take a lake over.

The specimen boys are left with dwindleing stocks as a few of the better lakes have suffered from some major fish kills which mainly effected the carp. The lakes that are still unaffected you will find on the whole are road blocked with anglers keen to catch a large original carp.

Please dont let me paint a negative picture I am sure you will have a great session and cath a few hopefully.

Tight Lines

Andy Wilcock

Reaction score
I know exactly what you mean mate! Took a walk round the big pond and it was absolutely rammed! All the way round from car park to car park! The only places that werent pressured semed to be the bank that runs along side the main road outside so i may bivvy up along there? They seem to of had a few out towards the island but my theory is that if there is that many lines in the water surely the only place the fish will feel safe and get their heads down is where they dont normally recieve much pressure? Hence the road bank? May go and do a little pre baiting during the week as there never seems to be anyone fishing along there? What do you think Ian?

Ian Gemson

Reaction score
Hi Andy the area you are reffering to use to be called the Deeps before they put the new pin into the lake. I am liking you thouight process Andy I have seen a few out from there I have to admit to liking the old woods area the first swim behind Kings pond fishing one out to the rope and one to the tree on your left. The smiw three along facing the island is also good for a fish or three.

Pre baiting is good however you could be chucking momey away by baiting a swim for days only to turn up and someone is in it.

Good luck mate

Andy Wilcock

Reaction score
Cheers for that Ian. Im beginning to sway away from the idea of prebaiting due to the fact that theres probably so much going in there at the moment they're probably starting to be even more wary of beds of bait! Im thinking the first swim behind kings pond due to the laxck of lines in the water and having a fair amount of water to myself on the left. Cheers mate. I'll let you know how i do

Ian Gemson

Reaction score
Andy

Spoke to a guy who fished that swim over the weekend today he used a partiblend bird seed mix with Molasses bait boated out to the ropes and fished poped up corn over the top to great effect catching 10 carp upto 21lb so it is fishing well I think he did better than everyone esle due to the small bait he was using rather than boilies.

Good Luck Andy

Andy Wilcock

Reaction score
Top stuff!! I believe i may even have some molasses in my kitchen at work!

Thanks mate

Andy Wilcock

Reaction score
Actually Ian,,, one more thing,,, Im thinking of bringing a few worms but i never feel confident that it hasnt buried its self in the silt when on the bottom? Is there anything i can do to "pop" it up as such??

Ian Gemson

Reaction score
Sure yopu can pop up worms by adding a sliver of black pop up rig foam from gardner to the tip of the hook after the worms have gone on this will also have the effect of stopping the worms from falling off the barbless hook.

You will have to use a large hook say size 6 or 4 but a nice worm medusa rig will certainly get the attension of the catfish in the lake. My youngest has used this rig to great effect at Tarn catching both catfish and huge tench on the same rig.
DSCF4008.JPG

I know its only small but its still a Catfish LOL.
DSCF4023.JPG

Followed in the early dawn light by this huge tench. All on the worm medusa rig

Andy Wilcock

Reaction score
Nice Fish! Your son may think that his cats small but compared to the kitten i caught there its a monster! I'll give the medusa a go on one rod overnight on the friday and see how i go. Cheers fella

Andy Wilcock

Reaction score
Hi Ian. Well,,, what can i say? I was all geared up, had my ten mil tigernut boilies, fake corn and worms and arrived at badshot lea around 5.30 in the morning. How gutted was i after trekking round with all my gear on the barrow and finding only about 15 free swims! All the swims i had in mind were either taken or had that many people next to it you would have ended up tangled? So what to do??? I know,,,, I hadnt been to stillwater for about five years so thought i'd give it a go. How stunning is that place!!! I couldnt believe that i'd been going to badshot when this proper carpy looking lake was just down the road! Bivvied up on the island and after a day of seeing or hearing nothing i moved swims to peg 27 on the back lake. Had two tench and a scale perfect common of around 10lbs! Happy days! Thanks for your advice ian. I shall be using it wisely.

Tight lines mate

Ian Gemson

Reaction score
Well done Andy nice to hear you did well mate Still water is such a nice venue I love the place the back lake gives you the runs water with the front lake just that much harder.

Dont be put off though the back lake has got some huge carp in
Barry%2035.jpg

This is my Barry with a huge 32lb wacker from the back lake and in mint condition.

Tight Lines Andy