dogfish

Wobbly Face (As Per Ed)

Reaction score
Don't about dogies, but bullhusk are the same family.

First is to boil in water for about 1 Minuit to get rid of any sand and so you can then pull the skin away. Theflesh is then used to make a fish pie.

dodgepot

Reaction score
nice one,i wish i had asked about skinning,that was a right pain.

I must have been at it for a good half hour,

next time ille know better,just hope its worth the effort.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
If I remember rightly, to skin a dogfish (they were called rock salmon in the good old days*) you make a cut along the belly from the underside of the gills to the vent.

Then, turn it over and cut a 'V' shaped cut from the centre of its head to the gill covers.

Take a pair of pliers and gripping the 'V' cut in the skin, while holding the head firmly with your other hand, you strip the skin straight off in one movemnet.

Mind you, its been a very long time since I did it last.

Hope this helps.

*that would be the good old days before the stupidity of the Trades Description Act and those friendly people at the EU!

Jeff Spiller

Reaction score
Rock salmon, husk and dog fish, I thought were all the same fish.

Did anyone here that Sainsbury's have re-named pollock and now call it colin !

I'll have a pound, oop's I mean 500kg of colin please /forum/smilies/confused_smiley.gif

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Take the dogfish (lesserspotted). But please leave the Bull Huss (greaterspotted) as these are on the decline.

Use to eat a lot of dogfish when i was younger. Still remembeer my dad out back head on a hook and pulling a the skin of with pliers.

dodgepot

Reaction score
Thanks for the info chaps,the dog fish are now in my digestive system,

what a lovely meal they made.

they needed to i went through a lot of blood sweat and tears, plus the forteen hours,

i spent catching them.mind you ive done sainsburys out of a sale.

chub angler get a life.

bryon baron, to save the bull huss,somebody needs to educate those new to sea fishing

the difference between the two

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Its all in the nostrils. I will try and dig up a few pics to show the diffrence. below is the way to tell them apart.

Look at their nasal flaps, on a dogfish they extend all the way from their nostrils to their mouth where as on a Bull Huss they finish about half way between their nostrils and their mouth.

As a guide also if they are over a couple of pounds they are most likly to be a Bull Huss.

coelacanth

Reaction score
It's well worth putting in a Caribbean fish curry, holds together really well. I use the Tropical Sun brand curry powder (from ethnic supermarkets), I mix the mild and the hot together because the mild hasbetter depthflavour but I like the heat.Alarge ripe mango or a tin of mango slices, maybe some papaya or plantain, couple of peppers, tin of coconut milk, couple of limes, few coriander leavesand an onion. Soften the onion in oil, add the curry powder and stir, add the coconut milk, then the fruit and the peppers, simmer and reduce for a few minutes until the fruit is softened (if using tinned mango it's already soft), add the cubed fish andspoon the curry sauce over it, turn the heat down and put a lid on. Don't stir now or the fish might break up, just let it cook through for 5 minutes or so.

Check one of the fish pieces for being cooked through, add the juice of a lime, serve on coconut rice withanother squeeze of lime and the coriander leaves either over the top or stirred through the rice.

Reaction score
That sounds a nice recipe Coelacanth.<blockquote class=quoteheader>chub angler wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>I was just saying I havent been sea fishing</blockquote>

How come, Chub?

coelacanth

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Matt Corker wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

That sounds a nice recipe Coelacanth.</blockquote>
Household favourite, goes great with a cold beer or five. Drop me a PM for next time you're in Bolton and I'll tell you where to get the other ingredients at the best price.

chub angler

Reaction score
no car and I'm that sad that the only time I leave Herefordshire is to go fishing in Gloucester.And you should hear how much they bit*h when you get on the buss with your fishing kit.

P

Phillips Jerry

The Dog fish were always better at skinning my wrist when unhooking them than I ever was when trying to cook one