Keith Culley Memorial Match

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
It sounds like you guys and gals had a whale of a time at the bash, just wished I'd been there! Congratulations to Wendy for her first tench and the rest of the bunch for giving it their best shot!

Sorry to hear that Graham once again managed to keep his wallet closed! We've got to get him one day Mike!

Well done to Mike for arranging the day coz it aint easy mate is it?

S

Stormin' Norman

It's a shame you could'nt make it mate, i could have done with a laugh' trying to get your Fox Euro dome set up on a platform would have been hilarious. Mind you, we did pull Mr Bullard's leg for sitting in his bedchair all day surrounded by bottles of Stella. Not sure if he did'nt have the better idea though........

S

Stuart Bullard

It was the only sodding thing I caught all day Mike. I just wish I had taken a few more bottles !! The amazing thing is for the first time in my life I actually concentrated on the fishing and tried hard. Not a bite.....

Still, good fun though, and it was very interesting watching Graham fish. Lessons learnt there.....

S

Stuart Bullard

By the way Stuart. What when and where is this 24hour carp challenge / fish-in ?? I must have missed that thread. Is it the same as the match against RMC?

C

Carp Angler

How the hell can you miss a thread with 781 messages and a second one with 17 ?????

The Car Park Swim

All places are gone, but you can still pop down for the crack and the BBQ.

D

Dave O'L

Stuart, considering you missed that thread (& I rarely read the Carp sec), are you sure you didn't get a bite on Saturday?????? ;)

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
and the hits just keep on coming.....Come on Stu, why don't you come along, I'll help you with the fishing, I mean drinking, I mean fishing!

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
Norm...That aint no fox euro dorm that be a hotel! I can't wait to get it back from Rik tough, what a thought!

S

Stuart Bullard

I may have Dave, but I obviously missed the bites as well ! Actually, truth be told, I spent most of my time wondering what Wendy would look like with a pole in her hands......something Rik was obviously quite keen to try out as well!

Stuart. You can certainly help with my fishing, but probably not the drinking. I may pop along if I can get the time.

pete proctor

Reaction score
"Still, good fun though, and it was very interesting watching Graham fish. Lessons learnt there....."

Come on then Stuart, spill the beans, what lessons did you learn from Graham? and I mean fishing lessons, not financial ones!

Seriously, observers of expert anglers can often tell us more about what they did than the angler himself trying to explain what he did. I'm sure Graham won't mind......

D

Dave O'L

It's the tying the shoe laces example. For those that can do it easy, but try teaching someone how?

M

Malcolm Bason

Nice of British Waterways to provide holes in the middle of each platform for the brolly pole - apart from peg 34 that is!! Yup I got drenched!!

S

Stuart Bullard

Well Pete and Dave, first off, having experienced watching Graham help/teach and read his articles I think he is a pretty good teacher. However if you really want to know what I learnt it was the following -

1. Have a plan, which I did, but more importantly have plan B and plan C, and decide which one to use based on....
2. Observation. There were lots of fish topping in the middle, and I should have adapted my plan.
3. Work at it. It was interesting watching GM and how there was almost constant activity of baiting, changing, re-casting etc.
4. Concentration. Dont do what I did and watch other anglers (apart from Wendy of course). I did actually have one sail away bite but missed it because I wasn't concentrating.

I guess a lot of this is obvious, but as ever, I often miss the obvious !!

R

Ron Clay

Congrats to Graham. It just goes to show that us old farts will still beat the youngsters when it comes to the crunch.

I certainly did that in Ireland....

M

Martin Klucniks

I hear you fished the Clattercote Reseroir. Where about in Oxfordshire is this?

T

Terry Davison

I'm due to attend one of our annual away trips and this year we're fishing Clattercote and Boddington in 2 weeks time. Can anyone tell me what are the best methods and baits to use at the moment. The only restrictions are the water's own rules. Any help would be very much appreciated.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
We were restricted to float fishing in our match (self-imposed rule) but the best weights were coming to method feeder in another match on the water, and by the pleasure anglers. Not sure what bait they were using but maggot was catching well, as were pellets and other carp fodder.

ron lander

Reaction score
Had a chat with one of the baliffs before the match. Method feeder/pellet seems to be the business although during our match I was fishing a 20 gram missile float in 17 ft of water, could not get a bite on pellet and caught my two carp on a red corn and 3 red maggot cocktail with a size 10 hook. If the fish are on the bottom, I would suggest accurate feeder/method fishing alternating maggot/pellet and then stick with the bait that catches. Also fish 40 - 50 yards out.