Hemp Pellets

M

Matthew White

Hi All

Just wondered if anyone has tried Hemp Pellets and had any success using them?

Am I better off sticking to standard hempseed? I just thought that the pellets are a good idea as they take no preparation and I just need to grab a couple of handfulls when I go fishing.

Matt

W

Wolfman Woody

Stick to standard hempseed.

I bought some pellets about 6 years ago, they floated for a start. Not much use in a river even when you put them in a bait dropper, they came back up to the surface.

Then they went off. Musty and rotten.

Forget them, but even hempseed will go off after a few years. It dries out and no amount of soaking will recover it. So buy it and cook it and feed it as quickly as you can. Beauty is, you can pre-prepare it and freeze it in ice cream tubs and stuff and take one with you when you go fishing.

M

Matthew White

I bought a 10kg bag of hempseed last year. Whenever I boiled it (sfter soaking it for 12hrs+) it took ages to split, some of it wouldn't split at all.

I still have most of it left. Is it no good at all now?

chub angler

Reaction score
Mathew if you get a seed out of the bag and squeeze it if its to old its dry and powdery and if their fresh they have oil in them if you know what I mean thats a tip I got from the seed merchants.

chub angler

Reaction score
do you put bicarb in when you boil them its supposed to blacken the seed and help them split.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
I used to buy bulk dry hemp and cook it. Now I swear by frenzied hemp in a tin.If I dont use it all in a session I freeze the rest and use it next time.Maybe a bit more expensive,but probably works out cheaper in the long run as it doesnt go sour,or dry out.