Got me a D700

M

MarkTheSpark

I picked it up last week and I'm impressed as hell. I've got my viewfinder back at last! The old D200 (anyone want to buy it?) gave a pretty dim image in anything but daylight and made manual focussing a bit hit or miss. The full-frame nature of the D700 makes for a lovely bright image.

And the dynamic range is improved, low light performance is amazing, and I just love this camera. If you were thinking about getting one, stop thinking....

M

MarkTheSpark

And now you're taking the pi$$. I'm going to bed..../forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
It was abig jump in technologyfrom the D200 to the D300,and the jump from a D300 to a D700 is amazing too. The full frame, bright viewfinder, getting the full width out of a wide angle lens againand being able to take flash-freenoiseless shots at 1600+ ISO is brilliant.

When you buy an expensive bit of kit, no matter what it is, you always go through a spell of wondering if you've done the right thing. With the D300 and the D700 I knew I had as soon as I'd used it.

The Monk

Reaction score
huh, Well I bet you dont have a Jem 7Vwh 1994, pearl inlays ebony fretboard with EVOs/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Would I want it if I knew what it was?Is it one of those things thatmake a noise?/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

M

MarkTheSpark

<blockquote class=quoteheader>Graham Marsden wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

It was abig jump in technologyfrom the D200 to the D300,and the jump from a D300 to a D700 is amazing too. The full frame, bright viewfinder, getting the full width out of a wide angle lens againand being able to take flash-freenoiseless shots at 1600+ ISO is brilliant.

When you buy an expensive bit of kit, no matter what it is, you always go through a spell of wondering if you've done the right thing. With the D300 and the D700 I knew I had as soon as I'd used it.</blockquote>

I stood outside Jessops with me credit card in me hand doing exactly that, Graham - it's a lot of money, I thought. But that's what I'd waited for, so I plunged in and emerged with it.

But it's just the best camera I've ever used, irrespective of price, since my beloved F90X. As you say, the quality of low-light shots beggars belief. I just shot some portraits of a local businessman - no flash, 1600 iso in RAW. Just processed them. No noise, no perceptible noise at all. Absolutely amazing.

Suddenly, I'm filled with enthusiasm for filling cards with images. I've got a shoot on a chalkstream fishery in Dorset coming up. I can't wait

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Using the camera for some book illustrations I'm involved withare making it a real pleasure rather than a chore.

No kidding, the guy who checks out the shots for the book publisher had toupgrade his computer as it couldn't cope with the size of the shots (which they insist should be in TIFF format). He said they were sharper and more well toned than any of the35mm transparencies he'd ever seen.

The Monk

Reaction score
I want one, I might see what happens to the price at the end of the year once the D700X comes out

M

MarkTheSpark

You cheeky monkey! The catfish picture was blagged from some other site. It made me laugh. It's hard to tell whose come off worse from the scrap, the catfish or the bloke!

Trouble with the gallery is that you can only post feeble-sized pics. The cod was taken on the D700 but it would look just as good taken on any camera. It's magazine work which really sorts out the favourites from the also-rans. The you need every pixel...

I'd PM you a pic to prove it, but you don't have your PM enabled.

M

MarkTheSpark

Ron. Nothing wrong with the D300, but things have moved on a bit. The old DX-size chip was excellent but not brilliant at low-light pics. The FX (full-frame) sensor is really excellent.

As I've said above, the other problem is that the DX sensor, being half the size, meant the viewfinder could only get half the light, so it was a bit dim, like looking through a bogroll. The D700 viewfinder is (almost) as good as my old film camera used to be.

If you've got a D300, you've got a great camera. (You might also want the superb, near-new Tokina 12-24 lens I'm about to flog)

DZ

Reaction score
Mark

How much do you want for that lens?

The Monk

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA) wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>So what's wrong with the D300 mate?</blockquote>
its so yesterday, lol, you back mate?