Monster from Mangrove

D

Dave Slater

Lovely looking fish Jim. In my opinion commons always look much nicer than mirrors.

LongMan

Reaction score
Cracking fish mate, commons are prettier for sure.

Funny how things happen, last session, last gasp pb good job you had the kit to record it, camera, scales etc. That sort of thing if it happened to me would end with no picture or no weight or both/forum/smilies/embarassed_smiley.gif

F

Frothey

cracking looking common /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

how does erewhon fish these days?

P

pons

Well done Jim,a fabulous fish to add to your impressive cv,congratulations on your dedication.

Good luck on your new water .

Pons

Dave Smith

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Frothey wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

how does erewhon fish these days? </blockquote>
still produces a few 30's... saw a very nice 30lb common when I had a trip over last July.

Morespiders

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Frothey wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

how does erewhon fish these days? </blockquote>
Erewhon isnt the place it was, you dont hear much about it these days since Pinky and Perky died, unless Stoney put more in, nice to think theres still 30s coming out, does Mr Fitzpatrick still fish it Dave?

F

Frothey

even without pinky and perky it always seemed more "magical" to me - probably because it was a bit more "hush, hush". Early/Mid 80's was proper carp fishing to me, Tim's writing around then always seemed to convey the excitement/atmosphere about it.

Dave Smith

Reaction score
Don't know spiders, I was lucky enough to be invited to spend a couple of nights on there last July by a good mate. (hopefully I'll get to do a couple more nights there this summer).

It isvery beatiful place and I had a bloody stupid grin on my face for the duration!

I was asked about putting my name down, but it would have only lead to divorce as I would have been hard pushed to leave!

she still produces a fair amount of 30's but as far as I know she's not produced a 40 since pinky and perky died...

I of course fished for the eels!

Morespiders

Reaction score
There were tales of big eels on Birch and the Mangrove when I fished it, think all them lakes round there could supprise people, big eel country, as you already know

Dave Smith

Reaction score
The Mangrove has done some big eels and I've heard that the Birch has too, but erehwon dosen't or hasn't yet though she does do a lot of them...

F

Frothey

probably a lot more bait going into birch and mangrove..... but then you'd think the eels would move around a bit wouldn't you?

Dave Smith

Reaction score
really strange Frothey, particularly as Erewhon and the mangrove are connected yet Erewhon has only produced 3's and the very few and far between 4. and the Mangrove has done quite a few 6's. Erewhon is full to the brim of small Roach and Rudd, so there's plenty of food in there for them.

You might already know this... Pinky or Perky (can't remember which) was set up when it died and is in the local pub, but the taxidermist couldn't dry the skin out properly due to the high oil content, and I'm told is the worst looking set up you're likely to see (I'll have to have a look next time I'm over). the oil allegedly came from the bait that was going in at the time.... makes you wonder what was going in, I can't remember using a high oil content bait when I was a rookey carper back in the late 80's early 90's... mind you I was (still am)poor so it was mainly particals and boilies on a stringer for me...

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
I've probably mentioned this before, but Birch Grove was one of my regular carp waters long before Tim and Co took it over. The farmer let us fish it for free but of course that stopped when someone went along and offered a fat syndicate fee. It was (at that time anyway)an easy water compared to most I've fished.

Favourite method was floating crust, especially at night. And favourite bottom bait was broad beans out of a tin. Birch was the only water where I've tried broad beans where they worked. Nothing but blanks everywhere else, except one other water (Berth Pool across the road from Birch) where they worked very occasionally.

The pictures beloware me fishing the far bank of Birch. Don't know what it's like now but it was just bog and swamp then. Mind you, it was nearly 40 years ago./forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif
blast.jpg

bcbw.jpg

F

Frothey

And to think there's people who think you'll never catch a carp if the rods aren't within 2" of the floor Graham /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

Mark Hewitt

Reaction score
Times have changed...........

Don't see many fishing for big carp now, using a keepnet and large selection of stick floats.............../forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

preston96

Reaction score
We kept ALL of our floats in a case like that Mark,and a huge keepnet like that was mega "caring"........... Graham was way ahead of his time then cos i did the same only 35yrs ago.

Unfortunatly i'm also still 5yrs behind him at "at the bar"ettiqutte"!.............but he is slowing down /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

PS......note the "butterfly collar" T.shirt in nearlyrealtree!! /forum/smilies/tongue_out_smiley.gif