Waggler Fishing In The Wind

Tony Cummings

Reaction score
Despite suffering severe close season blues, I reluctantly ventured out for a spot of float fishing on a local stillwater. Despite my limited ability with regards to "real" fishing, I managed to winkle out a fish or two and thourghly enjoyed it.

It's amazing how a few seasons of barbel bashing can lead to a steep decline in ones ability to "fish proper"; in particular, I've been struggling with holding position when waggler fishing in windy conditions.

I was fortunate enough recentlyto bump into an aquaintence of mine whilst fishing,who also happens to be an excellent angler; he kindly intervened after seeing me struggle with the blustery conditions. After establishing that I'd plumbed the swim in front of me he suggested that I cast out and allow the bait to drift in until it found its own position naturally; this then dictated the area to feed.

I was soon into bites and had some nice rudd and crucians out; however, I'm interested in learning other methods of beating wind / surface tow e.g suitable shot patterns, float types etc.

Going back to basics has made me realise how narrow my fishing experience has been these past few years/forum/smilies/i_dont_know_smiley.gif

F

Fred Bonney

Sink the line to the float,rod tip just below the surfaceand pin your lead on the bottom, laying on style.

keora

Reaction score
To minimise the effect of wind on a float when fishing stillwaters:

Use a largish waggler float with the line through the bottom ring. A float adapter helps to change floats quickly.

The float should take at least 1 ssg (1.5 gms) of shot and you may need a bigger and longer float if you are casting more than a few yards. Float length should be about8 inches or more to help sink the line below the top layer of water.

Bunch most of the shot immediately under the float with a few smaller shot about 12 to 18 inches from the hook.

On casting out, plunge the tip of the rod under the water as soon as the float hits the surface and turn the reel handle a few times. This should sink most of the line between the rod tip and the float.

If the float is still drifting in the wind, move some of the shot from under the float to join the shot near the hook. Increase the depth until the bottom shot touches the bed of the lake. The shot will drag along the bottom and with any luck will slow down the speed at which the float drifts.

If there is a strong wind you may have to use a bigger float.

Tony Cummings

Reaction score
Keith, tried the 2nd setup shown on the diagram without much luck; it was REALLY blowing into the margins. First method looks interesting though, with shot bulked at halfway; I'll have to give it a try.

Another good way of sinking the line is to plunge the rod tip below the surface of the water, take up some slack then lift the rod tip sharply out of the water; this cause the line to sink.

Paul C

Reaction score
You could also look at using a drift beater float, which are very effective when there's a heavy tow.

Tony Cummings

Reaction score
Always thoughtbodied wagglerslooked a bit cumbersome; I always imagine that you'ld lose bite indication / sensitivity.

Better than not being able to float fish at all though.

preston96

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Tony Cummings wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

Always thoughtbodied wagglerslooked a bit cumbersome; I always imagine that you'ld lose bite indication / sensitivity.

Better than not being able to float fish at all though.</blockquote>

Bodied wagglers are the only float i would use in big winds.........but what is a big wind? a comercial big wind is far different to a reservior big wind.

I have had some fine bags of roach on huge floats on windy reseviors.......a well shotted big float catches fish,one going al over the place dont.

Paul C

Reaction score
The drift beater ends up balanced with just the top of the thick tip showing. The long thin wire stem reduced the resistance of the tow, which is strongest just under the surface and you lay on some shot below the bulk to anchor it.

I've not used one for a while, but in big drifts, they do work when everything else won't.

Tony Cummings

Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up lads; I'll give the bodied wagglers a trip out of the float drawer next time I've got wind and big waves to contend with.

A

alan whittington

Tony,i dont know if this will help because as was said earlier it all depends on actual wind strength but in my experience big floats are always best in a wind and if depths allow long floats also out-perform short ones(12-18inch bodied or straight depending on shotting required),a bulk at least two thirds depth is essential possibly up to 4bb or more and as you are trying to hold position i would suggest a spread pattern of shot all on the bottom(this is generally for quality fish)as tell tales,if the rig does not hold increase depth to up to 5ft overdepth with the bulk being fished around a foot over(this acts a little like a drogue).This is awfully crude so of no use for roach and crucians etc but ideal for bream,tench and carp in relatively high winds

Donald Bain

Reaction score
Hi there Tony, glad to hear that you're doing some ledd arduous fishing at the moment!

I find that in wind the "Lift Method" is often best, especially on blustery condtions. Just get some decent straight peacock quills and attach top and bottom!

Our old friend Ivor uses this to deadly effect!

PS; not interested in a barbel rod are you?

See you at Aston one day and I'll teach you how to fish the waggler!

Don