Neville Fickling's Angling Times Comment on Eels

D

Dave Slater

Eels used to be an absolute pain in the arse on my local rivers. Bill Neal and I did not catch one between us last season. Practical proof enough I think, and there is no need to get too scientific

Max

Reaction score
I used to fish for eels in matches on the idle at haxey and always caught, now they are non-exsistant. I still catch the odd one on the tidal trent though.

brewart65

Reaction score
one of my local carp lakes has a few eels in (UP TO 5LB ) had 4 last year in 1 day maggot and worm fishing for carp and tench......

E

Eeluslf Uslf

Hi Dave Slater, Looks like my tips for to catch those eels did not work then.

Give us a ring when you have a chance, love to chat with you m8.

Best wishes.

Kevin

D

Dave Slater

Hi Kevin,

Hows it going? I have gigs with the band tonight and tomorrownight and have to sort out my pond pumps tomorrow daytime.

Will try to give you a ring on Sunday. It will be good to catch up.

I don't understand what has happened to the eels in the rivers down here, but it is good in a way as I can use any bait I like day or night.

Cheers,

Dave

preston96

Reaction score
I need no scientific evidence to KNOW that eel are with out a doubt in decline in the waters i have known for most of my life.

Yes, they are still caught and at times they (small fish) can be a nusiance, but in decline they are!!

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
The EA surveys of the Dorset Stour, Frome, and Avon showed 95% declines just between 1995 and 2000, never mind the years preceding and since. There are still some eels around but nothing like the days in the mid 80s when I had up to 5 or 6 per hour in matches on the Frome. One or two per season now.

W

Wolfman Woody

WHy do they keep showing these top chefs on TV chopping up nice big fat eels when they are fast becomming an endangered species?

It's about time we all complained when they show them.

It's not as if you need to eat an eel to survive.

A donkey pie will do just as well. (said in jest with a serious tone!)

J

John H Member of THE C.S.G.. & The A.T.

...or a cormorant pie.

Fuzzy logic; eels are down by 98% (so I've read) so we still kill them. Otters and cormorants are raping the rivers, and would appear to be over populated for the food supply, but they are protected.

D

Dave Slater

<blockquote class=quoteheader>John H Member of THE C.S.G.. & The A.T. wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

...or a cormorant pie.

Fuzzy logic; eels are down by 98% (so I've read) so we still kill them. Otters and cormorants are raping the rivers, and would appear to be over populated for the food supply, but they are protected.</blockquote>

Government policy John. Along the same lines as terrorists and thieving EE Pikeys welcome, brave Gurkhas f**ck off

/forum/smilies/surprised_smiley.gif

J

John H Member of THE C.S.G.. & The A.T.

He (NF) tried to explain it away on Fisherman's Blues by saying he only took the dead eels from those being shipped abroad, at least that's how I understood it. His sustainable supply????

If they weren't being shipped abroad there wouldn't be any dead eels /forum/smilies/i_dont_know_smiley.gif