Zed or Dead

Skoda

Reaction score
Excellent tale Geoff, many thanks. I've never caught a Zed; been after them four times and blanked everytime, wife's caught a couple though.

Sounds like a good result in the time available; don't you just hate it when commitments get in the way of fishing.

Couldn't let the article pass without a comment.

Andy

D

Dave Slater

I liked the article as well Geoff. Looking at the photo they look primeval creatures. I have never even seen one, let alone caught one. I must get round to having a go for them one day. Another read of your article may give me the inspiration to do so.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Enjoyable article Geoff. I fished Old Bury Hill about 30 years ago when it was just the one lake and when it was a great Tench venue.

Like Dave, I've never caught a Zander but one day I might have a go after them.

Geoff Maynard

Contents Editor
Reaction score
Well Bury Hill is a good place to try as at least you know you are in with a chance. Some big ones in there too. I live just over the road from the Thames which also has a few - but I've never yet caught one from there.

L

Laurie Harper

I've only ever caught one by accident (on 3 red maggots whilst fishing for bream on the River Lark in Norfolk). It went just over 6 lb. The water was very clear and when I was playing it, I thought I'd hooked a record perch when I first caught sight of it. The old knees started to knock and I was a bit disappointed when I landed it and realised what it was... Nice article.

Gary Newman

Reaction score
Fantastic fishery for zander, spent a fair bit of time down there this winter and really enjoyed it. The place is very well run as the owner David De Vere likes to fish for zander himself so makes sure people look after them properly.
They are a very interesting species to fish for and seem to act totally differently on Bury Hill to other waters I've fished - it is the only place I've caught them on sea deads, in fact they work far better than fresh coarse baits!