So you've caught your dream fish, whats next?

Day Breamer

Reaction score
Assuming you have got a target that you want to hit what would you do after you hit that target?

For example, you set yourself a challenging yet realistic target of a 20lb Carp or a 10lb Bream... then after many months/years of trying you actually get there... what then will you do?

Most people will have goals they want to hit, some people may even travel obscene distances just to fish on waters that contain thier 'dream fish' (im one of them myself) so what will you do if you ever get your dream fish?

Some people may say 'get a bigger one' but its never as easy as that... or is it?

What would you do if you eventually caught your dream fish?

Would you try a different species?

I personally dont think i could continue to drive for an hour each way to get to my venue 2 or 3 times per week if i eventually get my goal... i dont know what id do...

Do you know what you would do?

Reaction score
Different method, different bait...

or target a new venue , ...often for me its the venues...fishing time is precious but I want to do it in pleasant settings...discovering a new beauty of a venue or being taken to a new delight is as much part of my enjoyment as the targetting of a specific fish/weight.

Poshers

C

Cakey

Ive been very lucky and worked my way up through the weights ,Id hate to be one of those that caught a massive fish first trip out................

S

Sean Meeghan

I think I've got that target obsession out of my system. Now I just tend to relax and enjoy the fishing. If I feel the need I can always obsess about a 30lb carp, 30lb pike, 20lb barbel, 3lb roach, 4lb perch, 3lb grayling or whatever else takes my fancy!

trev (100M bronze)

Reaction score
Im doing it already. Im traveling to different venues now to see what I can get, Ive also changed my target species to anything and everything, Ive found myself going away from the Carp only flock.

Specihunter

Reaction score
Umm it will be hard for me to answer this with the fish i have caught . Yet my targets are a bit different like an oxfordshire 20lb carp, a 5lb cherwell chub ,a crucain, zander and a pike caught properly.

W

Wolfman Woody

Big 'uns, little 'uns, just enjoy catching them all.

I hate it when a mate of mine comes up and says "Only had the one at the weekend. Hardly worth going, it was only a 14lber."

"If going fishing and catching a fish means that little, it's time to chuck it in." is what I said last time and guess what?

Yep! He has - well he hasn't been since.

Keith M

Reaction score
When I was younger I used to chase harder and harder targets each year,but I enjoy my fishingfarmore nowthat I'm fishing purely for enjoyment and no longer fishingmainly for targets.

I don't like fishing for tiddlers but as long asI can stillcatchdecent sizedBarbel on short opertunistic evening sessions? or decent sized Tench on short early morning sessions before work then I am happy; If I were to catch a record nudging fish it would be a bonusbut definatelynot a target.

C

Cakey

I dont dream of fish............................................Denise Van Outen may be

D

Dave Slater

Just enjoy yourself. You may then catch an even bigger one when you aren't expecting it.

/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
I like to go to new venues, then I have new target's. I got my dream, but that shouldn't stop you having new one's, it hasn't me.

I am happy catching fish, that's what I go for, if the big one come's along I am after, even better, but just enjoy it all, even the blanks, you can learn from them also.

Nathan

Reaction score
Ispent almost 3 years trying to catch a carp from my local canal - when i finally caught one the weight was irrelivant. I've now had 4 carp from the stretch in question with the largest being 21lb - after the amount of hard work i put in i kinda felt a little lost. I'd spent so long trying to get to that point I hadn't considered what i'd do once i got there.

After my first canal carp i started pike fishing more seriously and have now had a few good fish - my favourite thing about pike fishing is that i never take any scales, i just go out for the enjoyment of being out. Plus in winter the banks are usually empty!

After my winter of pike fishing i became a bit disheartened - the lack of another target water/species was getting me down. There's a small lake locally that contains some good tench but getting on there was a nightmare. You'd have noddies on there for weeks at a time taking up half of the water.

I knew of a another water that held a few fish that could up my carpPB - i'd fished there a few times before so thought i'd try it again and what happened - i caught my first 30lb carp. Now what do i do?! Aim for a 40?! Its never ending!!

The bad one

Reaction score
I've spent nigh on 40 years fishing for tench, bream, roach, chub, barbel, perch,pike on many venues in the NW. And when the target weight is hit, a new target weight is automatically set. Those targets are now measured in ounces not pounds, but it's kept me busy thus far, and probably will do for life.

The venues may change after a considerableperiod of time of fishing them, but the desire to hit the new target weight doesn't.

Gary Dolman

Reaction score
If I ever get dissapointedwith the sizethe fish I catch then it is time to pack it in. It is the whole experience that keeps me coming back, sure it's nice to get a decent fish, but the pursuit of the biggest has never been a driver for me.

Philip

Reaction score
This is a very interesting thread as I think the anglers that can overcome the hurdle of -what to do next - that Day mentions are the ones that are on track to stay anglers for a life time. The instant anglers who go to a Carp puddle and catch a 20 on their first trip are less likely to stay the course and also (more sadly) unlikely to discover what else angling has to offer.

I must admit that this is also one of the reasons why I don’t often fish places were I know what the biggest fish is. I like the sense of mystery that you just don’t know what the next bite could bring.However lets imagineyou catch your target …what now ? …well along with it seems the majority here I tend to set myself a different target…it could be an even bigger one, it could be a different species, it could simply be to try and catch the biggest in that water or perhaps try and catch one on the float rather than on the lead…there are so many permutations. Sometimes it can simply be - can I catch say a chub before work. Its one of the great things for me about angling, it can be whatever you want it to be. You can be the deadly serious spezzie hunter sat behind a battery of rods or the guy fishing with one rod for whatever comes along, as long as you are enjoying it that’s the main thing.

Reaction score
The only target an angler should make is the target to enjoy him/her self every outing they make. If this is is achieved then the next target will be the same, and so on.

To enjoy is a personal thing, for some it is just being out of the house, for others it is catching, but for me being in pleasant surroundings and managing to wet a line is enough, if I catch (as I usually do) then this is a bonus.

I'm sure we have all set the targets to catch XYZ but all this does, is make disappointment when you don't, it becomes a numbers game, where you might as well stay at home, sell your gear, and work out the probability of winning the lottery or catching that target.

Ryan

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Ray Daywalker Clarke wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

I got my dream, but that shouldn't stop you having new one's, it hasn't me.</blockquote>Now come on Ray, witnessing that 24lb tench of Spiders....it's only nightmares left after that! None of us can aspire that high.....

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
The only 'targets' that I have are a target species from a particular venue, and they are not size/weight related.

For instance, on my local stretches of the Hampshire Avon, at different times of the year I will set a target of, say Grayling. Then I will spend a few sessions until I can happily catch Grayling without the interference of too many Roach or Dace etc.

Most of my fishing 'targets' these daysare more driven by the seasons and river conditions than target weights., although I will often challenge myself to catch, for example, 10lbs of Roach from a particular swim or river. It seems that old matchmen never lose that competitive edge, even if is only when competing aginst themselves.

At the moment I am concentrating on Brown Trout on the dry fly, from the rivers, (and a bit of stockie bashing at the local lakes) and will do so until about lateAugust when I will start my Coarse river fishing campaign again.

That said, I am still hankering after some good Crucians and Rudd from a stillwater, so that will be another species-related target for the new season.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>PoshPaul (ACA/ANGLING TRUST) wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote><blockquote class=quoteheader>Now come on Ray, witnessing that 24lb tench of Spiders....it's only nightmares left after that! None of us can aspire that high.....</blockquote></blockquote>
That Tench has put on just over 7lb,since Spiders caught it,,amazing/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif